Last week in the Thames

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
raydo123

Last week in the Thames

Post by raydo123 »

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

That was short n sweet, what are we looking at. :-/

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

are you serious !!!!!!!

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 »

link wont open :(( :(( :((

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

say what !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skuffa
Regular
Regular

Post by skuffa »

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy »

well done with that catch mate. i see u put a mackeral in the picture or is that a shad?

Dave01uk

Post by Dave01uk »

We all beat about the bush and never say what we really mean, yes you have a good assortment of fish there BUT!! DO YOU USE A SIZE RULER?
as a lot of the fish especially the ones in the left tray don't even look borderline for size, you are welcome to have a go etc but I am expressing my opinion! As a responsible fisherman and a member of the N.F.S.A I carry a measuring stick and even a fish that is borderline in my book gets a chance to live for another day even if the fish has been deep hooked and i have a problem removing the hook i have to give it that chance.

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy »

take a look at this web site.... www.kentandessex-sfc.co.uk. ... as all fish sizes are not the same around the british coast

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Cheers westy for editing.

I just checked out the site, plus the NFSA size limits for Cod, Whiting, and Pollack, and using those as a yardstick, the sizes are the same. As all the fish are not listed on that site, i couldnt compare such as dogfish etc. Cheers..Mick

Dave01uk

Post by Dave01uk »

I don't dispute that fish sizes around the British isles is different but from one side of the Thames Estuary (Kent) to the other side (Essex) there is no change in size! Fishing Shore or boat is the only size difference!!!

LIKE I SAID BEFORE..... It is my opinion that a lot or most of the fish in the picture appear to be UNDER SIZE and i being a responsible fisherman WOULD NOT KEEP MOST OF THE FISH IN THE PICTURE AS THEY APPEAR TO BE UNDERSIZED!!!

I am not saying any more on the subject, it is up to every angler to be responsible and only keep sizeable fish and then only if they have a use for them and they don't end up in a bin.

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy »

ok dave01uk i no wot your saying i tened to put bk codling under 2lb bk if i court a few nice codling. mick wot i mean is like bass on the nfsa size limits is 41cm and on kentandessex is 36cm ive alway gone by kentandessex size limit and so his my mate who runs a trawel in the north part of thames. i never know there was i size limit on dogs so next time im my mates trawel i will check

macer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by macer »

Casting the topic of whether or not the fish are keepers aside as some things are best left un-said.......

Where on the Thames were you fishing? Can you give us a bit of a report with the picture lol??

Cheers macer :D

raydo123

Post by raydo123 »

I didnt realise the picture acutaly came out..
The fish were ALL well in size - the mackerel was caught along with 3 whiting at the same time (on 2 hooks)
The thornback was 12lb and the smallest codling was 3 lb
I dont EVER keep anything undersize.. The dogs went back alive but put them in the pic as showing the variety we caught that day
Ray

brian_woolsey

Post by brian_woolsey »

crikey, thats not usual, surely? to catch a mackerel from the thames in december?? :-/