Trawling the thames

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
rambo007

Post by rambo007 »

Shane you have pm.

CodCrazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by CodCrazy »

rambo i pmed u back

Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

just sent you a PM

davethecod
Occasional
Occasional

Post by davethecod »

well done all i am enjoying this one no arguments and i think thats down to the complimentary attitude of our now resident trawling expert again top notch lads THE COD

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

i think that a conservation forum to debate various issues such as licence, commercial , charter and political issues would be a reasonably good idea. i am sure mrix is watching this post and will voice his comments. on the down side (with the exception of this post) all political issues previously raised seem to provoke quite strong and somewhat contentious feelings often bourn out of ignorance. myself included......thats why i chose to watch the aforementioned post and not comment early on. maybe p.m him with the idea. i for one would be happy to give it my vote, but alas not so happy to be its mod!!! lol

maybe you could arrange "enlightenment" trips out for those more dubious of your learnings. so that they may to get a better understanding of the ways of your craft. i for one would be happy to come out on a trawler......learn and bring home some fish for tea as you stated earlier!!! >:)

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 »

i second that motion
i an sure a trip on a trawler would be a hard but great day out

CodCrazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by CodCrazy »

hi colin,

i have has quite a few pm's from people wanting to come out for the day, im happy to give people the oppurtunity to come trawling for a day if it helps their understanding of the industry, ive been very encouraged by the amount of positives coming from this topic, it seems to be a popular one,

i will be taking pictures and videos maybe i could post them for all to see, i have some older pics and vids from last year and will take alot more now i know people are interested,

cheers shane :)

CodCrazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by CodCrazy »

hi dave,

thanks for the positive post, im enjoying this too,

shane :D

steveseagull
Occasional
Occasional

Post by steveseagull »

I too have been reading this subject with great interest, it goes to show that ignorance, ,misinformation, and general hostilities are the order of the day whenever two different points of view clash.
It is good to see that differences are discussed here without the topic turning into a locked thread.
For my own part, i would love to be a fisherman.

I will inflict my opinions on the subject another time. . .But . . .

On a slightly different subject; a shed load of massive trawlers (dwarfing the pantechnicons which take the catch) have been resident at shoreham harbour for the past month. Most are from scotland and they seem to go out daily as i see the refridgeration units queuing up at the vessels every day. There are approx 25 of the things, and they all have a long rusty streak down the centre of the boat with metal stuff hanging over. What kind of boats are they?, why are they here? (all of a sudden[not been here before]), and basically what is going on?! Have they thrashed the North Sea and had to come further south for their catch?

This is a cracking debating chamber and i am proud to be part of it.

Codcrazy, i would also love a days fishing with you.

:) :) :)

Cabrat
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Cabrat »

Watch Twalermen /Deadliest catch etc with enthusiasm i am sure the thames cannot kick up the frozen sea's and ice breaking but it still is i should imagine a very hard job not only to make a living but to keep the boats and equipment in tip top condition.

i have every respect for u commercial guys who abide by the rules and make your living from the sea.

I will be bending ur ear on the boat trip in Jan lol.

Also i too would like to say what a pleasure it is to see this being a thread which is not only educational to us pleasure anglers but has not had to be Policed by "Sergeant Kopite of the Thames Estuary Constabulary".

Well done guys on taking the time to answer the questions thrown at u and the members who are enjoying the way this thread has been conducted with learning by being respectful in there questions and not venting any anger on the one or two bad apples who do flaunt the laws of this country.

Keep it up you guys and look forward to reading the next 4/5 pages.

Captain(only for one day) Cabrat

Dave

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi fellas
just like to say what a great threed realy informative and eye opening please keep it going thanks
steve

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 »

i too agree with this thread
its great to see the opinion of the guys who spend their lives out in our seas trying to earn a living to bring fish to our tables.
and also to see the positive remarks from anglers in support of our local fishing fleets.
BUT
please dont take this as a rant but just as my own personal opinion
i feel that not enough is done to protect our stocks from foreign vessels, our fishing fleet has almost been fished out of existence by the big guys
it may or may not happen in our estuarys, but it does elsewhere around our coasts.
as one of the trawler guys said
what we take has vitually no effect on the fish stocks...which is great and admirable....but 1 day later, a whopping great spanish boat will clear up the fish in about a 20 mile area...why dont they fish their own waters ??????

i also have a question for the trawler guys
it might be a stupid one but it seems reasonable to me

if a boat has no quota for a particular species and they accidentally catch them, rather than have to throw them back dead, and i am sure this upsets trawlermen...why is there no fish bank, where perhaps they could be traded to another boat that still has a quota for them rather than throw them back dead......there is probably a reason why not, but thought i would ask anyway.
hats off to the trawlermen and anglers...kindred spirits...lets keep our coastal fish for ourselves
P.S.
looking forward to getting a day out with you guys one day :D :D

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

It is all very amicable and there is nothing wrong with that..........but !!!!!!!!! remember in the words of the great Eric Cantona "when the Seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think Sardines will be thrown in-to the sea" ..............JOLI

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

You know lads this is a very good debate and I for one would like to see it in the chat room.

Perhaps you guys have forgoten we have one. :D >:) >:) >:)

Cheers
keith :D :D

rambo007

Post by rambo007 »

Hi guys,

right first up steveseagull, without having seen the boats in shoreham that you are talking about from your description i would assume they are visiting scallop boats. They may well have used up there whitefish quota and have turned to scalloping or just after more profitable grounds down here. Again this is purely an assumption based on your description of what sounds like the bar of the scallop dredge.

Aston, i agree 100% with your attitude about foreign vessels and whole heartedly support the call for action to be taken to tighten up the rules and regulations that govern these vessels. This is not coming from Rambo the commercial this is Rambo the pleasure angler!

With regards to the 'fish' bank idea, it is sort of in plaice (sorry couldn't resist it) at present. However it is not us fisherman that decide who swaps with who, but yes you guessed it our government will do it for us. For example, Holland might be short on Dover Sole at some point during the year and might swap us with say Whiting for example, say 15 tonne for example.

Thats all well and good but when they go to re-allocate the newly acquired quota won't help the fisherman in the areas where that particular species isn't a tradtional target species.

I might have made that slightly more complicated than needed but hope it clears it up somehow!!!!! :D