Trawling the thames

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
CodCrazy
Occasional
Occasional

Trawling the thames

Post by CodCrazy »

i have noticed as ive been scanning reports for my local fishing grounds that numerous people are suggesting that US trawlerman who work very hard for a living are killing the estuary and that our boats should be sunk,

it breaks my heart that people would say such things, im skipper of a boat working out from the medway and really enjoy my job, we are always working along side scientists and doing research on there behalf, it is estimated that per vessel per year we dont even catch the equvelent of 0.01% of the population of the estuary as a whole.

in the last three years ive seen the fishing get better and better, fish stocks HAVE increased, i urge people to think before they go accusing an industry of which they have no experience in of ruining the estuary,

if anyone has any questions then i will try and help in the best possible way
i will try and provide as much help to anyone wanting to know more, thanks for listening
cheers shane :)

redleg
Occasional
Occasional

Post by redleg »

With all respect shane.. imho i dont see one boat in grays untill the sole arrive. Then they are out at low tide in the early hours of the morning..? I think anglers would just like to know if people are allowed to trawl that far up the river..?

CodCrazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by CodCrazy »

hello there,

fishing vessels are allowed to tow as far as grays as im aware but not past there, majority of trawlers up that wat are the small inshore vessel working the sole and peeler crabs and usually lay up for the autumn/winter, if you have any doubts about the legality of such a vessel contact your nearest harbour master or the fisheries direct and they will be happy to assist

redleg
Occasional
Occasional

Post by redleg »

Thanks for the reply shane...! i just think its a bit much when we dont get an awful lot of fish this far up the thames , and when we do , out come the trawlers.

Cabrat
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Cabrat »

Hi Shane,

Point 1 Glad you on my boat in January Ps can you bring a net to ensure we win LOL. >:)

Point 2.Not knowing all the rules and regulations regarding Trawling and fish quota's etc. :-/

Fishermen whether comercial or just pleasure we all try and catch.

opinions from both sides willl always differ and become a heated discussion without knowing the true facts. :((

I respect everyone who makes a living whether on land or sea. >:D<I>:D<

I do not want this thread to become locked due to a debate on the pro's and con's of commercial fishing as it has been around since the year dot and us Pleasure anglers are not educated enough in the laws that govern the commercial industry. #:-S

I just hope the cod still keep biting and we all carry on enjoying the sport we all love. ;)

The commercial boats dwindle year by year due to the laws governing their industry so i personally wish you and your trawler well hoping you can carry on providing food for our table and for your own family. :D

Cabrat.

CodCrazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by CodCrazy »

i understand where u r coming from redleg, but it has been proven that the fish are there, i do however disagree with trawling tht far up the river, i do most of my work below southend pier and have even gone as far as ramsgate, i try to stay clear of angling boats as much as i can giving them as much space as poss, after all most of them get there bait from me, hermit crabs and peeler crabs that we catch whilst fishing,

im sure that the trawlers up your way dnt catch all that swims in the river, small trawlers up ur way tow a single sole trawl which fishes hard on the bottom and very rarley catch anything else but soles as the net is towed too slow and near the bottom to catch the likes of cod and bass which can outswim a sole net,

i hope this has helped a tadd

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

i am happy to keep this post running..........but please be very cautious with your questions, statements and replies as time and time again these type of posts get out of hand. so far so good.

regards colin

CodCrazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by CodCrazy »

well im sure i cld sort summit out captain cabbus :D ;)

i didnt want to start a debate i just wanted to share some facts about the industry i work in and was deeply disheartned by somes posts i read so thought id start a thread about trawling so people can ask questions about the industry,

im sorry if it sounded like a rant but it was not intended to come accross that way, i love fishing both comercially and pleasure and wouldnt dream of doing another job,

once again sorry if it came accross as a rant but it wasnt meant tht way

cheers and happy fishing
shane :)

redleg
Occasional
Occasional

Post by redleg »

Col....? its just an imformative thread m8 , i can understand were shane is comming from i dont see the problem ..?

CodCrazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by CodCrazy »

i am happy to listen to any views or opinions and answer any questions as best i can about the fishing industry,

redleg
Occasional
Occasional

Post by redleg »

when do you start picking the peelers up ..? and untill when ..? weather permitting of course..!

CodCrazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by CodCrazy »

high redleg,

in certain areas we get them all year round, but we only really target them in june to august when there peeling in large enough qauntities, i have a friend of mine that works peelers all year round, so should any be needed they are there,

cheers shane
:)

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

get where you are coming from paul. i am not poking at you cod or anyone else. i am politely stating that trawling posts very often get out of hand. i would welcome a measured debate from both sides and just hope it stays nice and friendly.

ps....the raffle missed you greatly at the charity comp lol.

redleg
Occasional
Occasional

Post by redleg »

Thanks shane ..! i may take you up on that .. :)

CodCrazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by CodCrazy »

not a problem redleg,

any questions u need answering just ask mate :)