New Member/Gravesend 18/11/09

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
CodCrazy
Occasional
Occasional

New Member/Gravesend 18/11/09

Post by CodCrazy »

Hi all, great site it has really been interesting to find new places to fish that are a stones throw from me but didnt even know was there lol,

after chatting with my mate we chose gravesend to go fishing for the afternoon, we wre reccomended to fish behind the retail park by carpet right so thats wre we went, i used two rods 1 with a pulley rig and the other with a running ledger both with 2/0 hooks and several lug tipped with squid, my mate used 1 rod with the same as my pulley rig, having been informed by a guy i met there (and reading it several times on this site) was told not to cast too far so a gentle 50yard lob was enough, we fished 1 hour up wich resulted in nothing then over high water i had a wacking great take wich i connected into nothing more than a snag losing the whole rig, 2 mins later same happened to the other rod, 2 hours passed with little more than a couple of knocks then a nice whiting and tiny pout the last hour we wre there, my mate blanked and i didnt exactly hit it off but a good day none the less, any tips on what went wrong will be appreciated, cheers shane :)

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi Shane, i dont know your area, but welcome to the forum. Cheers...Mick

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi fella cant realy answer to what went wrong i suspect nout just one of those days but welcome to the site

andymad
Regular
Regular

Post by andymad »

Probably a bass grabbing at your bait,at least you had a couple and welcome to the site

andy

CodCrazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by CodCrazy »

bass didnt think of that, apparently some nice ones been coming out latley, big cod to 8lb the day before i went but its always "you should have been here yesterday" type of situation,

hopefully try again in a week or two

robc22
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by robc22 »

Welcome to the site.....great first report

andymad
Regular
Regular

Post by andymad »

if your fishing for the big bass,put a penell hooklength on it will double your chances

Cabrat
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Cabrat »

welcome and nice report.

Cabrat

jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jay180 »

welcome to the site mate.. unlucky on the missed fish... good spots to try are coming a bit further up to greenhithe or a couple miles further down to the sea school... i was a regular where you fished, lost loads of rigs over the years and found out over a certain distance the bait and rig is going into deeper water known as the kent ledge.... we always had good bites in here but because of the angle of retrieve even if you held the rod as high as you could the line was being dragged through mud, it literally is a ledge... greenhithe an sea school you can put a bit more into your cast and lose less gear..
cheers
jay

CodCrazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by CodCrazy »

thanks for the info jay, will try and give those spots a try in the coming weeks, next week im gona try my local beaches westcliff and thorpe bay and hopefully get a nice evening on the oj too,

cheers shane :)