Mullet Pics - Southend Pier

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
mulletman
Occasional
Occasional

Mullet Pics - Southend Pier

Post by mulletman »

Hi all,

I have replied to a couple of posts recently regarding Mullet off Southend Pier, and have now as promised uploaded some pics for you to see why i just love catching them. Cheers to you all.
[/img]Image
[/img]Image
Image[/img]
Last edited by mulletman on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alien
Occasional
Occasional

Post by alien »

very nice. what was your bait? And what time of day did you catch them tide etc. I walked out to the edge of the low tide last week on the east side of the pier I reckon I walked about 1/2 2/3 the length of the pier and saw them at the waters edge in about 10 inches of water.

mulletman
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mulletman »

Thanks alien. Most of these are caught by working a certain feather close to the stems near the Lifeboat end of the Pier. You will always see them where you did, but are practically impossible to catch from there. They are best cauht from where i said at low water, the best time being the last 2 hours of the ebb.

Wizz262
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Wizz262 »

well done mulletman,,, lovely looking fish and not the easest fish to catch too :)

macer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by macer »

Cracking pictures mulletman......Well done.

Were they caught recently?

Cheers macer :D

phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by phatboy »

mulletman wrote: Most of these are caught by working a certain feather close to the stems near the Lifeboat end of the Pier.
come on let us in on your secret ;)

jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jay180 »

nice pics :D

mulletman
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mulletman »

Thanks to all your comments, will answer what i can..... The 2nd pic of the 2 mullet was from this year, about 5-6 weeks ago, the others were caught last year. I have had many successful outings for them on the Pier, catching them on most occasions when i go for them, and it took me a good 2 years to learn how and where to catch them. They have also been caught on the traditional bread baits, but the mullet on the Pier are definitely easier to catch via working feathers. It takes a lot of time and patience though as mullet are notorious for 'snatching' at the feathers, and so what you need to master is the timng of the strike to the snatch. Its not just a case of chucking and retrieve as you can do say with Mackerel. The mullet on the pier are caught by slowly working the feathers (a certain type lol) as close to the pier stems as possible, and this is also done at low tide, the last 2 hours of the flood being the most productive. :)

mogg

Post by mogg »

It is very generous of you to give away 2 years of research, time and frustration in a few key strokes.

thank you.

Eddie.

mulletman
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mulletman »

Thanks for that Mogg, and thanks to the other compliments too. The way i see it is that this Forum has helped me out no end in certain areas, and though am not the best Fisherman in the world by far, catching Mullet from the Pier is something i am good at, so if i can give something back to the forum for all the help i have received, and that in turn helps others, then all the better for it.

Cheers to you all.

Phil.

alien
Occasional
Occasional

Post by alien »

Did you eat them, or did they go back? And if you did eat them are they any good as I hear that they're not all that tasty.

bucks
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bucks »

nice dead fish

mulletman
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mulletman »

I keep some and return some, most in the pics were kept except for the large one am holding standing up (7lb!).
Yes you can eat them, which is the only reason i keep them. They do have an unusual taste, and some people love them, others hate them. I really enjoy the taste. They are much better cooked with whatever you prefer to flavour them with. The worst part is the descaling as they have very large scales - loads of them lol. After descaling i head and tail them, then make vertical knife slices down the body, and lay the fish on foil. Put all over the fish then any flavourings such as Garlic, Cloves, Pepper etc etc whatever takes your fancy, then wrap it completely in the foil and bake for about half hour or so. Lovely ! Taste good Barbecued too lol. I can assure you none of thr 'dead' fish were wasted, all went to a good home - my stomach lol. I just wish i could catch Cod or Bass in the same way ! lol. Hers to dreaming eh!

Tight lines to you all.

Phil the Mulletman.

robc22
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by robc22 »

great job mulletman.......nice pics !

bluelion
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bluelion »

im impressed with that ,perhaps a new species would be a good idea...you seem to have mastered that one...