Flounder as an eating fish

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
Danny_Boy

Flounder as an eating fish

Post by Danny_Boy »

Hi there. Does anyone eat flounder? All the recipes and reviews I have read say what an unpleasant taste the fish has. Compared to say lemon sole or turbot I imagine it will face pretty stiff competition - but is it really that bad?

Fish more for the sport than the pot, but nice to occasionally take something back for dinner!

All the best - Dan

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

Ive never tried to eat one and had to spit it out. :D

Mind you i only take them from clean beaches and not muddy gutters next to a sewer outfall . I wonder how many fluke are left to stew in a carrier bag in the sun all day before they are deemed inedible.
Look after them ,keep `em fresh they`re ok but not as good as dab which are very underated.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi, Fish are no different to any other food, its all a matter of personal taste. I suggest you choose a recipe that appeals to you, and try it. nothing ventured nothing gained, let us know your verdict if you do. Cheers..Mick
PS, the NHS helpline is open 24/7 ;) :D :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

My mate caught a decent one recently which he insisted was a plaice (how I put up with fishing with a thicky I don't really know). Anyway against my advice, he took it home to cook (after all it was caught from a clean beach...).
Next day I got a call - "You were right mate and it tasted crap, in the bin now."
Some people never want to learn.

squiresoak

Post by squiresoak »

I DO eat flounder but never on the same day as it is caught. I admit that there are tastier flat fish but I don't think that flounder taste bad at all. Gut them and fillet them as soon as possible then fridge them for next day eating or freeze them. I prefer to dust them in flour mixed with salt, pepper and tumeric then into a pan of melted butter.

squiresoak

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix »

Hi, I have eaten many Flounders over the years and they have always tasted fine to me :)
cheers
mrix
p.s nice to see squiresoak :)
Have you been ok?

bluelion
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bluelion »

the flounders i have had taste good.......and im a fussy git.........cant eat mullet though after someone told me he gutted one with sweet corn inside it.......all the fishj i catch are from muddy estuary type locations........my personel fav is sole.............mmmmmmmm

dabhand
Regular
Regular

Post by dabhand »

cant beat flounder fried in olive oil or margerine with a dash of vinegar and herbs thrown in. do taste better freshly caught though.

bluelion
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bluelion »

yes they are ok to eat...............but i must admit they get knocked for 6 compared to bass or sole................but i still eat them.......lol,,,,,

robc22
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by robc22 »

hard to beat fresh flounder.....good stuff!!!

framer

Post by framer »

I used to catch loads when I lived in southend and always gutted them as soon as i got home but then put them in the freezer for a month before eating as it seemed to get rid of the muddy taste. Now I live inland and fly fish for trout which are the most overated eating fish ever. They do say you should soak trout in salt water for 24hrs before cooking but I guess this ain't going to make a difference with a sea fish!

bluelion
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bluelion »

i gut all fish as soon as poss...........although i have bought them with guts in from fishmongers.......i think they smell less done early........nothing like the smell of fish to put you off fish.........fresh fish smells of the sea.....but this is my opinion........

Realytangled
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Realytangled »

Flounder are a good to eat, its normally the cook thats poor. :D ;) :D

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

just stumbled o this string while looking for flounder info/recipes. i caught a a few decent size flounder last night (headed and gutted them on the pier as soon as i caught them) and thinking of marinating them in orage and garlic over night and bakig them.

2 questions.

1. one of them was a 'left eyed' rather like a 'Fluke' but i thought these were only atlantic fish... any ideas?

2. one of them was full of what appears to be roe. is this eadible from flounder? and is there any way i can distinguish a 'full' female from a male, as id rather not kill a spawning fish if i can help it.

graham

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Well, there ya go some people will eat anything although I suspect they are kidding themselves and usually cover the insipid taste by bunging all kinds of junk on it.
Daughter bought me a copy of Hugh Fartly-Widdlesmore's fish book for Christmas which is generally very good but he still goes on about Pout, Whelks and Limpets so he is still one short of a six pack in my view.