Gravesend In Search of Sole

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

Gravesend In Search of Sole

Post by jay180 »

fished gravesend sea school up by clubbs pier with lee361 in search of his 1st dover sole. arrived at the ship an lobster at 5:15pm, quick pint then off we set for the 10min walk to the spot. half hour before low water we began to set up, lee fishing 2 rods with lug an rag an i set up 3 rods with lug an rag. rigs varied from 1 up 1 down, 3 hook flattie flapper and 3 hook wire boom rigs. hooks were from size 1 to 2 with 5oz grip leds.
Image Image
after hour with no action lee reels his 1st cast with 2 school bass on the same rig, good start to the day, straight back to my rods i go. about 2 hours pass and all is quiet, a fella to our left who turned up an hour ago has started hitting into some small sole on his size 6 hooks an rag, only got my 2s so not much chance of them size for me. 2 hours before high tide an my rod rattles an pulls the led out the mud, X( X( missed it, cast goes straight back in the same spot an rattles within 5 mins, rod pulls down hard then slacks off, this time its on, in comes a sole just over 10inchs :D

Image Image
after that it is quiet up until high tide when lee has a run of good knocks which results in his 1st dover sole, then another an then a 3rd all one after the other, nice one, mission accomplished :D :D as i reel in my last cast i get a small flounder, all fish have fallen to rag.
Image Image
all in all a well worth while session. :D

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix »

Great when a plan comes together!
What a really great report and pics :)
very well done!
cheers
mrix

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

Hi Jay, nice fish ,Sole are my thing good to see that they are arriving in the estuary, remember we talked about the small harbour rag a while back the ones that can be dug on Thamesmead flats and on my side Barking marshes........they are the killer bait !!!!!! for these fish and i assume that you are aware that soles feed nocturnaly but hey what do i know its plain to see that you caught these in daylight!!!!, well done good job.....JOLI

theshadow

Post by theshadow »

Hi Jay,excellent session,report and pics well done lee on your 1st 2nd & 3rd sole. =D>

lee361

Post by lee361 »

GOOD REPORT AND GOOD PICTURES JAY AND A GREAT NIGHT.LOOK FORWARD TO DOING IT AGAIN SOON.THANKS THE SHADOW THATS 1 FISH TICKED OFF MY LIST OF FISH TO CATCH.

Wizz262
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Wizz262 »

Well done jay ,nice one mate we catch the sole on our side too,fishing seems to be on the up in this part of the thames at the moment . :D

macer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by macer »

Well done Jay, great report mate =D>

Cheers macer :D

bluelion
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bluelion »

at least someones catching.........good boy......

andymad
Regular
Regular

Post by andymad »

well done jay,at least you caught your target species nice fish and it beats blanking

andy

mogg

Post by mogg »

outstanding report

good job mate

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

well done jay and lee >:D<

Realytangled
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Realytangled »

Nice photos and good report especially lee's PB, also good spot for sole is the flats at back of B&Q, rag seems to be the best bait, make sure you fish next to the flats as the bit by B&Q very snaggy.

Peter

tinny
Occasional
Occasional

Re: Gravesend In Search of Sole

Post by tinny »

jay180 wrote:fished gravesend sea school up by clubbs pier with lee361 in search of his 1st dover sole. arrived at the ship an lobster at 5:15pm, quick pint then off we set for the 10min walk to the spot. half hour before low water we began to set up, lee fishing 2 rods with lug an rag an i set up 3 rods with lug an rag. rigs varied from 1 up 1 down, 3 hook flattie flapper and 3 hook wire boom rigs. hooks were from size 1 to 2 with 5oz grip leds.
Image Image
after hour with no action lee reels his 1st cast with 2 school bass on the same rig, good start to the day, straight back to my rods i go. about 2 hours pass and all is quiet, a fella to our left who turned up an hour ago has started hitting into some small sole on his size 6 hooks an rag, only got my 2s so not much chance of them size for me. 2 hours before high tide an my rod rattles an pulls the led out the mud, X( X( missed it, cast goes straight back in the same spot an rattles within 5 mins, rod pulls down hard then slacks off, this time its on, in comes a sole just over 10inchs :D

Image Image
after that it is quiet up until high tide when lee has a run of good knocks which results in his 1st dover sole, then another an then a 3rd all one after the other, nice one, mission accomplished :D :D as i reel in my last cast i get a small flounder, all fish have fallen to rag.
Image Image
all in all a well worth while session. :D
>:) >:)

Cabrat
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Cabrat »

Nice session,

Envious or what X( X( X( ha ha.

Out with Bob on the Carpe Diem Sat on the local marks should be good fun. LOL

Cabbus

stroodsue
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by stroodsue »

myself, merris999(mike) and the shadow (lee) are going ship n lobster on Wednesday morning for a go!!

well done on you catch!!

Sue