Southend Pier - Mackerel Fishing Tips Please!

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
fishermans_fiend
Occasional
Occasional

Southend Pier - Mackerel Fishing Tips Please!

Post by fishermans_fiend »

Think about giving the Pier a go for the Mackerel at the weekend as I've heard it's starting to produce. The weather is forecast to be cloudy with sunny spells and wind about 15mph. If the water has some colour to it will this hamper the fishing or do they take feathers in all conditions? Or would it be worth waiting until the water is clearer? Also, where is the best spot to fish?

Thanks for any help!

davethecod
Occasional
Occasional

Post by davethecod »

i have always done ok on the top of the stem around the station area ,the rig i use is a 3 hook flapper the first trace being 18"above the weight and then 2' above that and the the top one being 2'down below the surface ,trace length is 4' with size 6 carp hooks ,bait is a long slither of mackerel take as much meat away from the skin as you can to make it wiggle and weave in the water ,you will also get garfish on this rig ,the other beauty is that you can sit back and wait instead of constantly working feathers ,THE COD

fishermans_fiend
Occasional
Occasional

Thanks the Cod - sounds like my kind of rig! Any idea of the light and water conditions and how this will affect the fishing?

davethecod
Occasional
Occasional

Post by davethecod »

it will all depend on how quick the tide rips out plus the one you will be up against is the may water (bacteria in the water looks like tobacco juice) not sure how far up it has come but we had a lot down the maplins last week ,i have not had a lot of problem with visibility as normally they come through in the clear water if you watch the water as the tide slows down it will get clearer ,you can with this rig put a larger hook on the bottom and try for a flattie or a bass,i make the bottom line on a rig link so i can change it when needs must on the flattie rig i put a drilled bullet about 12" up from the hook this brings the bait to the seabed THE COD

bluelion
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bluelion »

i like to use small hooks small lead cast far and work the lures, then when you see other people catch work even harder..........works for me........

fishermans_fiend
Occasional
Occasional

Thanks for your help guys - I'll probably be fishing it tomorrow for the midday-sih tide so might see some of you down there.