Fishing before Xmas?

Anthing North West Coast sea fishing related in this forum only please.
rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fishing before Xmas?

Post by rabbi2 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:33 am

Anyone fancy a meet up before Xmas providing the weather and tides are suitable? Did rather well a week ago as regards numbers but all were returned as they were well undersized. Possibly a cold snap will entice there big brothers to show.

Shame about Blackpool Pier, the damage it suffered was tremendous, just wondering if they will find the pennies to put it right.

It wasn't too long ago since we lost Fleetwood Pier due to a fire. Seems we are losing the old Victorian Piers and they cost too much to repair or replace.
Cheers
keith :D :D

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:34 am

Sad that nobody has replied to your invite rabbi- not my part of the country but if you're ever in essex i'll gladly show you a few decent spots

Could be time to wind up this site there's so few people posting.

Anyway Hope you have a good Christmas.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:08 am

Of course it's not time to wind up this site. This time of year most folks put their rods away and wait for the return of the plaice at end of February. This site is probably the best in the country and mrix will not put up with the rotten behaviour which happens on some other sites I could mention.

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:56 pm

I'm not being funny Eccles but if this is the best Fishing website in the country then sea angling is in a worse decline than I ever imagined.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:56 pm

Well you could be right my friend, certainly for the Solent. I have fished the Solent and Hayling in particular for at least ten years and this has been the worst I can remember. Due to the long cold spring the plaice were almost non-existent and the bream did not arrive until June. Even the bream were very poor in numbers and sizes. Personally I have not taken a single bass in excess of 5 lbs whereas in past years I always took at least a dozen. Then when we got to early autumn; I had no contact with sole as I usually do and still no decent bass, even the schoolies were were not there in the abundance that we usually see them. Finally we get to November when the codling and whiting normally appear (last year there were loads of them) and I have seen no more than one or two whiting in each session I have done. It's not just me either, my regular pals and acquaintances have also had a pretty poor year too, even the smuts did not turn up in the numbers we usually see them. Thus it is no great surprise to me that the number of posts on this site are well down; the situation is similar on the other two Solent area sites which I belong to.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:46 pm

Even in my relatively short sea fishing life I have seen the fishing going from pretty poor to dreadful. This year, as eccles says - just a few school bass, one or two very small bream in summer, and only a few small whiting this winter (though I haven't been out).

There are pockets around the South where a few fish are being caught, but not in numbers. I see no prospect of things improving. I expect this site along with many others will stay quiet.

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:10 pm

Have to say I admire those who stick at Sea Angling in these very lean times. I compile match results for our club and find it very hard to get enthusiastic when I read of 5 hour matches fished with 2 rods being won with 1lb of fish consisting of a couple of dabs or whiting. Virtually no decent sole or bass through the summer and not much cod action either.

Quite depressing really but i think you're right Eccles - most sea fishing forums and sites seem to be very quiet these days.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:58 am

It's not only this site that is suffering from lack of posts but others as well.

Even the motoring site that I go on are suffering from the same problem.

It's hard to drum up any enthusiasm in the cold wet and wintery months especially among us older ones. Can't say I blame em really especially when you could be toasting your rear end by a nice open fire with a tot of the old good stuff by your side. lol.
Cheers
keith :D :D