Advise for 2 new sea anglers....

Anthing North West Coast sea fishing related in this forum only please.
michaelwbafc

Advise for 2 new sea anglers....

Post by michaelwbafc » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:05 pm

hi all, me and a mate are both looking to into sea fishing from the shore as apposed to the coarse/pike fishing we currently do. One thing we're both excited about is the opportunity to take a few fish for the pot every now and then.

we are based in the north west but as neither of us drive we have to rely on trains... and because of this our sessions will be long ones.

We plan on fishing fleetwood/cleveley areas... thinking about doing 5 bar gate a few hours before high,then fish it all the way to low and 2 hours back up. Any suggestions for any other marks in the area?? as fleetwood due to ease of access will eventually become out "local".

Also could anyone recommend any good starter rods that a budget priced around the 30-50 quid mark?? Also having never used a multiplier is it best i stick to a fixed spool??

thanks
Mike

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:27 pm

Where are you located as I can let you try a few rods of mine before you buy also reels, and can provide transport on ocassion. I am going to fleetwood tomorrow and will be fishing the Cadet Base
Cheers
keith :D :D

michaelwbafc

Post by michaelwbafc » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi Keith, thanks for the reply!

we're both based in leigh... which is basically on the boarders between wigan, bolton and greater manchseter. Being both young whipper snappers (26 myself and 25 my mate) a walk to train station and either a bus or tram from blackpool is what what we call "easy" access... so just popping up isn't really an option unfortunately (unless your local to us??).
If your based out the way no problems the offer was greatly appreciated and i look forward to meeting you up there in the future if you don't mind knocking around with two twenty odd year olds. :p

How safe if the flyde coast when fishing a low water marks??, us both not knowing anything about sea fishing don't want to run into trouble. I could not imagine the shame in ringing the coast guard because we have been cut off or worse get lost at sea....

Thanks
Mike

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:21 pm

I am in Blackburn myself, not to far away from you two. Low water marks are dangerous and sugest if you fish them to take someone with you who is familiar with the area. I never fish them myself.
Cheers
keith :D :D

Boxerman

Post by Boxerman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:33 pm

michaelwbafc wrote: How safe if the flyde coast when fishing a low water marks??, us both not knowing anything about sea fishing don't want to run into trouble. I could not imagine the shame in ringing the coast guard because we have been cut off or worse get lost at sea....

Thanks
Mike
In a nutshell - it isn't! Although it looks relatively flat when the tide's out there are many gullies, some well over 6 foot deep which can fill up behind you. There are also areas of soft sand which you can sink into.
Unless you have someone with you who knows the area really well, I'd leave the low-water fishing until you've gained more experience.

Frank

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:14 am

From the Cadet Base down to 5 Bar is probably the safest stretch of the Fyld for low water fishing , but even then its bloody dangerouse , especially at night which is the best time to fish it. The gulleys fill in behind you damn fast. I always wear an inflateable fly fishing vest, to fish low water there.
If you already have carp rods or pike rods you probably don,t need to buy surf rods just yet as long as you don,t try fishing the area in a hoolie as even 6oz grip leads can get pulled out in a good blow.