Rubber lug

Anthing North West Coast sea fishing related in this forum only please.
mickporteruk

Rubber lug

Post by mickporteruk » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:32 pm

Ok now I have been advised where to fish and what tackle I need by Rabbi. I have bought what I think I need.

I was looking in the tackle shop at those slimey rubber lug worms. They also do sand eels and rag worm. Does this stuff work?

Sounds too good to be true if it does.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:40 pm

No it doesn't work. Rubber eels and shads are OK but only if you use a technique that makes them move in a lifelike manner. This normally involves using a spinning rod whereby you cast out into a likely spot and with a small sinker and then retrieve at a fairly fast speed with a suitable fixed spool reel. The eel/shad than moves through the water and waggles with a realistic motion which fools predatory fish like bass and pollack into thinking it's the real thing so they make a grab for it.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:43 pm

As Eccles says rubber eels and such are OK from a boat or deep water venues but they are not at the top of my list..

Mackerel from the supermarkets make a fine bait also fresh mussels using bait elastic. these are the cheapest baits. I will send you a pm with the number of my bait supplier and tell him keith in Blackburn gave you his number.
Cheers
keith :D :D

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:52 pm

Go to a freezer food shop and buy the frozen mussels too. Very cheap and good bait ;)

mickporteruk

Post by mickporteruk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:04 am

We fish with artificial corn now all the time. Carp and other course fish don't appear to spot the difference.

I suppose smell is a factor but I do catch fish on them.

Maybe sea fish are more discerning in their lunches. Spot a fake lugworm from a real one.................

mickporteruk

Post by mickporteruk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:43 am

Thinking about my last post. Where I fish for carp the fish are used to seeing sweetcorn thown in as loosefeed or groundbait. So probably the associate anything yellow with food.

I suppose sea fish won't be as triggered.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:36 pm

A lot depends on scent. Some fisherpersons use a rubber dubby. this is normally made up of fishguts and heads minced up and placed into an onion sack and dangled of the stern of a boat, thus atracting fish via a trail of oily scent.
Cheers
keith :D :D