Bowness on Solway or Moricambe Bay (not Morecambe Bay)

Anthing North West Coast sea fishing related in this forum only please.
BillBodger

Bowness on Solway or Moricambe Bay (not Morecambe Bay)

Post by BillBodger »

Firstly, Hi! from a newbie to the forum, :D

I am a newbie to fishing. My mate (also a newbie) and I are planning on going fishing off the Bowness on Solway peninsular this weekend. We haven't a clue where will be the best place to fish. Has anyone any suggestions (nothing rude please!). Also what type of fish can we expect to catch? I am assuming it will be mainly flatties and eels especially in the Moricambe bay area. We shall be fishing from the beach. What will be the best bait to use? Is mackerel OK?

Sorry for the list of questions but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Bill B-)

BillBodger

Post by BillBodger »

A quick update.

Well it was a fairly uneventful trip nothing caught except weed. The place we decided to fish was off the end of the old railway bridge to Annan. The current is fierce here so we struggled a bit. I'm sure if there was an experienced angler there they would have given us advice as to what to do in that situation but we were on our own and complete novices.

Since the trip my mate has been talking to a local there and found out the main place to fish is Port Carlisle. He said there wasn't much being caught there and the fishing is better down the coast a bit. I think he was fishing for bass because he was using a jelly worm. I would have thought there was a good chance of sea trout because there are half netters just a little way around.

Anyhoo, we still enjoyed the day out, had a laugh or two and had the cobwebs blown out of our bonces by a fairly brisk wind. B-)

phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by phatboy »

never mind m8
blanking is all part of the trial and error process.
better luck next time

BillBodger

Post by BillBodger »

We live and learn! :D

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

BillBodger

Post by BillBodger »

Thanks for the welcome and advice Keith.

I'm originally from the Morecambe area and I used to fish as a kid but I hadn't got a clue. I had a beachcaster with a small spinning reel (left over after trying coarse fishing) that took about 35 yd of 30lb line and plenty of enthusiasm. I think you can see the depth of my expertise at that time.

Its been a bit of a shock on the bait front. I used to dig lug, rag and king rag on Morecambe beach . At that time I could half fill a bucket with lug in an hour . Now it seems they are a rare commodity and need plenty of back breaking work to collect. I have a mate in Morecambe who fishes. Even though he is 2 minutes from the prom he still buys his bait. I must admit, I am a bit tight and the idea of buying bait wrankles. It looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet unless you know of anywhere near to Whitehaven and Arnside (the two closest places to fish for me) where there are good bait digging spots.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Hi kmate, due to the facxt that I am 67yrs and have arthritus my digging days are gone. As I said not familiat with that area for bait digging and I normally buy mine from a professional bait digger.
Cheers keith :D :D