Selling fish

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
Harwoody
Occasional
Occasional

Selling fish

Post by Harwoody »

I need some money and I think the best way to do it by what I love best -
Does anyone know anywhere near Newhaven that will buy fish off me. Even if it is for a couple of quid. As long as it is enough to buy bait for next time I dont care lol.

Mackeral I can get easily. But If I were to strike lucky and get another species, who would buy it?

shannock
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by shannock »

i have a house full who love fish all except me i love to catch and release the small ones and the rest never last long in the fridge

luckily i can dig my own worms so have no problems about bait buying steve
Last edited by shannock on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MJB

Post by MJB »

Get a job!

If you want to keep a few for the pot that's fine, but like many anglers I have little time for the people who sell through the back door. I welcome the day when regulations are put in place to stop this. Unlicensed, unregistered commercial fishermen (as this is what you will be) are as big a part of the problem as the big trawlers operating way offshore. I trust you'll declare your earnings for tax reasons and meet strict food hygiene rules?

(No doubt this post will get deleted, just like every other time commercial fishermen are criticised)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

There is no reason why the post should be deleted. You are after all entitled to your opinion and you have put it forward in a proper manner. To be honest I agree with your sentiments.

Rabbi2
Northwest Moderator.

slipperyeel
Regular
Regular

Post by slipperyeel »

if i was you i would see if there is any place that you can either dig bait or gather it from, plus mackeral is a nice bait to use for most of the uk coast line, gathering bait is a part of fishing after all :D and makes it worth it once you land a fish :D

but i wouldn't sell fish to make money for bait.

Carl.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

I think most anglers are of the same opinion. Folk have a right to voice there opinion in a correct manner. I will only intevene if it turns into a nasty argument or if it becomes offensive. This is part and parcel of being a Moderator.

I take the position very seriously and check nearly every forum. Keith

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix »

(No doubt this post will get deleted, just like every other time commercial fishermen are criticised)
I think thats a totally unfair comment!
All posts about commercial fishermen are not deleted!
These type of topics always tend to get heated and end up getting locked or posts removed when they become abusive and reasonable discussion has ended, as it always seems to end up with these type of topics.

cheers
mrix

Harwoody
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Harwoody »

I certainly wont delete it.
I thank you for making me aware actually. Im sitting here writing my CV ironically. I completly forgot about trading standards and whatever else.
I guess im getting a little worried on how I am running out of money and might only be able to go fishing with lures (Ive never used to success).

Time to think of another idea. Thanks again :

yungteddy
Occasional
Occasional

HARWOODY

Post by yungteddy »

harwoody i take them to ur local pub the pub in my village take fish from fisherman all the time. i dont think its fair that people are telling harwoody to get a job. If he catches a reasonable sized fish he should be allowed to take it home and do wat he wants with it!!!!! after all he did catch it!! at least he aint killing them and leaving them in rockpools. well harwoody i would try ur local pub or restaurant.

Harwoody
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Harwoody »

Thanks for the idea.
Nobody was tellin me to get a job, just saying that sales of fish has increasing standards to meet, and being 16 and unemployed, I dont know all of these.
Totally understand.
Thanks All :D

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

I wonder how many mackerel are taken by sport anglers in a year? Its just i remember a tv prog last year with the shiny new multi million pound super trawler (or was it a netter) fishing off the coast of ireland.
First trip out, first drop the skipper was embarrassed (on camera at least) to net 147 tonnes of mackerel.Lets say they were 1lb each in weight that makes 323,400 macks in one go.If i sold 2 dozen a day every day it would take me 37 years to flog that lot ! I have never sold a fish in 40 odd years of angling but if times were hard i wouldn`t feel guilty about it .

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Not sure about this one, years ago I would shoot rabbits partly for sport and partly becuase the farmer was only too pleased for me to do it. Many of those rabbits got sold to the butcher rather than see them go to waste. I can't think that many anglers catch enough to sell in serious quantities certainly I never have although I sometimes catch enough to pass one ot two to friends. The only fishing I do think twice about is of course yer humble mackerel because it is just too easy. My usual approach with macks is to take about 1/2 dozen for bait and breakfast and then get back to more serious angling because I consider an insult to the environment to catch 30 or 40 mack then just throw them away like some muppets do.

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

There is nothing wrong with taking fish if stocks are good and the fish are not wasted.It is better that you shot rabbits and sold them ,rather that than have them gassed in the buries and left to rot.

yungteddy
Occasional
Occasional

harwoody

Post by yungteddy »

or if your catching mackerel were u are why not sell some to anglers for bait? im sure somebody would be more than happy to buy them off of you!!

Harwoody
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Harwoody »

Tis so easy to catch mackeral here... WHy would people waste their money buying mackeral for bait whn it takes somehting like 2 minutes to get a full house?