Newbie - bait question....hopefully not posting 3 times...

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
the_edge

Newbie - bait question....hopefully not posting 3 times...

Post by the_edge »

Having trawled the posts......and gleaned as many tips and tricks as I can..I've decided it's time to jump in and amaze everyone with my lack of knowledge...being a newbie!
Fished TideMills beach with trout flappers (yes trout...I love fly fishing but hate the taste of em)..at night and had some good thumping bites but missed em all ....and decided I need more of this! Going baiting on the low tide tomorrow morning....limpets / hardbacks..and possibly goby as there's loads about.......would welcome some opinion on whether some concoctions of these are likely to pull at night off the beach at Seaford or even daytime float fished???....and if Goby are best live or dead bait....
Thanks for any advice..........and excuse my enormous ramblin' first post!!

....and if I've multiple posted....sorry....newbie to forums as well as beach fishing...double virgin!!!

edloc69
SE Coast Moderator
SE Coast Moderator

Post by edloc69 »

Welcome to the forum the_edge unfortunatly not from that area but hopefully there is someone who can but welcome again and hope you find the forum fun as well as informative and in the future maybe you will be the one giving the advice
tihgt lines m8.

PootyTang
Occasional
Occasional

Post by PootyTang »

Welcome edge . To be honest i have never used goby for bait so i would be interested in your results . I hope it works for you , no real reason why it shouldn't .

welsh
Regular
Regular

Post by welsh »

Hi the edge. I dont know what its like for muscles (the shellfish) down there but if you can get any, they make a prety good cocktail bait. Just remember to lash them to your hook using (i cant remember the name of it now, its been that long lol) elasticated string to stop it coming off the hook easy. You can buy it from any sewing or tackle shop. Hope that might help.

the_edge

Post by the_edge »

Thanks for the responses - think I'll go for the entire cocktail approach (mussels are pretty easy to pick up down there) and give it a mix and match on the float later.
Will post if it brings any luck
Cheers

edloc69
SE Coast Moderator
SE Coast Moderator

Post by edloc69 »

Muscles know theres a good idea, never thought of that another that might work is the good old brown prawn.

survivor

Bait

Post by survivor »

Slipper limpets are really good, so are razor clams. Get yourself a baiting needle and some bait elastic - make up a bait sausage on the needle and then thread it onto the hook. Killer bait!

Try looking on Brightcove, it's a video site provided by gofishing.co.uk

Hope this helps

S

the_edge

Post by the_edge »

Goby......not a thing! Stuck 2 rods out, one with single hook and a small goby and the other with limpet crab combo elasticated on but 2 hook rig... few little tugs at the goby but no takers and 4 whiting and a small rockling off the combos

And that's as close to a scientific comparison as you'll get from me!

The gobys of Peacehaven are now safe.....

Cheers for all those that answered - and I was fishing Tidemills about 1 hour before the high and 2 hrs after - early evening session

thebigbassman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by thebigbassman »

welcome mate