Dungeness - Are there any fish left in the sea?

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
mercury1058

Dungeness - Are there any fish left in the sea?

Post by mercury1058 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:29 pm

Fished Dungeness today for 2 hours before and 2 hours after high tide. Result: 1 feeble little Whiting. I was lucky though I think because of all the people there (I could see 20 plus rods) I and the chap next to me were the only one who caught anything (he had 1 feeble Whiting as well and was there much longer than me). Leaves me wondering whether there are any fish left to catch.

That said I fished Hythe for 3 hours on Sunday and caught 5 smallish Whiting and a Plaice, all of which went back. On both days I fished squid and mackerel. Those with worm seem to have faired no better.

Is it just me or are others having a similar lack of success? The absence of postings here makes me wonder if there is little to report/pass on to others.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:50 pm

Unfortunately I haven't been out for quite a while now, hence the lack of postings from myself although I will agree that fishing has been poor until recently on the Lancashire coast. Things I think will pick up over the winter months,
Cheers
keith :D :D

dabhand
Regular
Regular

Post by dabhand » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:50 pm

The fish are there, you just gotta get the tides, weather right etc and have a bit of luck!
we fished deal mid November during the day and had 5 codling to 3lb, 8 good doggies and countless whiting.
The thames and medway are alive with codling and whiting at the moment too.

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Judgegeoff » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:41 am

There is a storm forecast for the next few days and a good blow should wash in a load of bait towards the shore. This will bring in the big cod, so I expect catches to be much better thereafter.

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Judgegeoff » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:22 pm

I should have been fishing the Dungeness area of the English Channel today in my local Dymchurch Sea Angling Club's 'Cod Open' boat fishing competition. Unfortunately it had to be postponed because of the windy weather. Today's competition wasn't the scheduled date, nor the reserve date and not even the reserve, reserve date, all postponed due to high winds. I now look forward to the reserve, reserve, reserve date, lets hope that the cod are around still then! It is an important competition for us as half the entry money goes to the RNLI. Mother nature has not been very helpful to us in 2014, let's hope 2015 proves to be a bumper year.

May I take this opportunity to wish all my fellow anglers a very happy Christmas and a healthy, peaceful and catchful New Year.

Tight lines, Geoff

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:37 pm

Seasonal greetings to you and your's
Cheers
keith :D :D

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Judgegeoff » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:30 pm

I went out in my mate Dave's Warrior 175 boat on Tuesday, together with Dave's son Tim, as we saw a window in the windy forecasts we have had of late. We launched the boat on an outgoing tide from Dymchurch slipway and were afloat just before the sun rose over the horizon. On the way to the fishing area I noticed that frost was forming on our reels!

We anchored at a point outside the Kerton Road cod area and fished with mainly cuttlefish, frozen worms (no fresh at present), squid, crab and mackerel on pennell rigs. The fishfinder indicated that there were a lot of fish below us.

Fishing was fairly slow but we ended up with 8 codling, a huge whiting, a pouting, 2 thornback rays and endless dogfish. All but the cod and the rays were returned. Dave also got a nice spurdog of over 13lb, a new species for him.Dave and Tim were also bitten off a few times, so we think that there was a conger ot two on the rough ground.

We noticed that there were a few boats in the far distance (believed to be charter boats) that were close inshore at Dungeness. Beach catches there have been better that the boat catches, so perhaps they were cashing in on that.

We returned to Dymchurch at about 3:30pm and recovered the boat on an incoming tide. We hadn't caught the monster cods that we had hoped for, but we had a few fish fillets for the freezer, the company had been great and, if you could ignore the freezing cold, the sun and blue skies made it look like we were fishing in the tropics (I wish!).

A very happy New Year to all forum members and their families. Let's hope that 2015 heralds a return to monster cod catches at/off Dungeness.

Cheers and tight lines, Geoff