Friday 12th Sept at Cooden Beach

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
AndyH
Occasional
Occasional

Friday 12th Sept at Cooden Beach

Post by AndyH » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:32 pm

Weather Sunny, wind Easterly and cool. Bait Squid, Sandeels, Mackerel and Black Lug.
venue beach between Cooden beach, Bexhill and Normans bay.
Fished from Midday till 5.30, 2 rods caught a Pin whiting and a baby Smut about a 1 1/2 Lbs, then at the end it was wind surfers paradise that's why I packed up.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:14 am

Wind surfers and jet skis are an abomination to fishermen. Just can't see the sense in chasing up and down a beach or harbour
Cheers
keith :D :D

dabhand
Regular
Regular

Post by dabhand » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Not being funny but windsurfers and jetskiers and anyone else for that matter have just as much right to use the beach and seas just as much as us anglers do. They probably moan about fisherman as well having to dodge our lines in the water. Its not like they scare fish away is it!!! We don't own the beaches, sea walls and harbours etc.
It seems some people cant live their lives without moaning about others!!!!!!

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:47 am

Lets put things into perspective shall we? first of all there is normally a speed limit imposed in most harbours to which jet skiers don't comply with, then there is the safety aspect of paddlers and swimmers or don't they count?

Most jet skiers race each other very close to the shore, if they did this some distance from the shore I wouldn't have cause to moan.

They remind me of those lads who own crosser motorcycles (making loads of noise and getting nowhere) and even some of these ride on the roads and pavements unlicensed. Is it any wonder I moan?

You will find that on most beaches Quad bikes have been banned by the local authorities just because they were racing each other with a complete disregard for the safety of others.

I can see a similar thing happening with jet skis. I have personally seen very close accidents narrowly averted with small boats and jet skis. Holyhead harbour is a typical example ask any of the locals

Now that I have explained the cause of my moan perhaps you could explain why it should be allowed to continue? I'm always interested it the point of view of others and am willing to change my views if I am to be proved wrong in my thinking.

Several things like this should be debated and I welcome the thoughts of other members on the subject. As I said debated without causing arguments.

Cheers
keith :D :D

dabhand
Regular
Regular

Post by dabhand » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:16 am

so basically because you have a problem with jetskiers you expect them to ride miles offshore. They were designed to be raced and to be had fun on!. And isn't it down to the harbour board etc to police the harbours for riders doing excessive speed or riding dangerously to deal with it?
And kite surfers was mentioned as well.
It is my view and observation from fishing all around the kent coast for many years that kite surfers and jetskiers do not cause a problem to anglers.
As for quad bikers, I have never seen them tearing around our beaches and the only off road bikes we see are mainly around the sea walls of the Hoo Peninsula where they might be tearing the ground up a bit but generally don't cause problems for any one! I used to off road myself around our sea walls etc. Just remember , not everyone who does this are yobbos.
It seems to me you just have a problem with people having fun!!!
And like I said before, anglers don't have a monopoly on the beaches and inshore waters. Everyone has a right to have fun and use them.
This is my opinion and I am sure many will agree with me

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:48 pm

I don't mind windsurfers - they don't pollute and rarely interfere with angling. But I share rabbi's views on jet skis. They are noisy, polluting (smell the fumes on a summer's day), are exceedingly dangerous and often do disregard the rules. If they are in the vicinity they do make fishing almost impossible. Maybe not all riders are tattooed oafs, but a majority appear to be. Fortunately the weather they like is not good for fishing.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:49 pm

No comment other than that I have seen at least two collisions between jetski nutters and others in the last few years one resulting in hospitalization. I also hear on the news that there was a fatal collision in Greece last week involving two of them. The number of near misses I have seen is countless and yes they do habitually break harbour speed limits; well they do in my neck of the woods anyway.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:25 am

Unfortunately craft on the water is a way of life for many people and you have to deal with it. Some show respect on the water when people are fishing and some don't. Jet skiers and boats have as much right to be on the water as our lines and there will be no change in that.

As much as i dislike them sometimes when i used to go sea fishing. My other thought when i was blanking was lucky sods would love to have a go on that, maybe trolling some feathers behind for some bass or mackerel :D

P.S Would love one of these ;-)