Medway city estate

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
PootyTang
Occasional
Occasional

Medway city estate

Post by PootyTang » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:29 am

Hi all . fished the estate today with the the wife and kids . Used lug ,rag and peeler as last resort . Ended up with 6 whiting with 4 keepers ( 2 on my first cast to the horror of the family ) . Tide was running fast so short casts the order of the day . Unfortunately short casts were dealt with by the crabs which seemed to carpet the floor . Nice easy fishing away from the pier with crabs keeping the boys ( 6 & 9 0) amused . Can see an evening tide giving good sport .

Steve .

PS. Nice to see dab hand still here coz been a while since i have been here . :) :) :)

jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jay180 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:36 pm

nice 1 pooty. good to catch an bonus when the kids enjoy
jay

dabhand
Regular
Regular

Post by dabhand » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:13 pm

hi steve. good size whiting in the river this year thats for sure.
i was at the R R D.
went last week down there as well with similar results including 5 nice pouting. much less snaggy, virtually snag free. same prob with crabs though lol.
planning on getting down there again this weekend or next

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:36 am

Well glad to see someone is making headway on the Medway but don't you guys know how to make an anti-crab rig? My standard rig is a two hook clipped down with snoods about 30 cms long but if I am fishing a crabby area, I add small floats made of cut up cork/whatever to the snoods around 7 cms from the hook which keeps the hook and bait off the bottom so that small crabs can't reach them.

dabhand
Regular
Regular

Post by dabhand » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:21 pm

good advise eccles about the bait lift rigs.
we do make these rigs, my mate uses them all the time.
i prefer not to though as you get the occasional sole in the river so i would r
ather fish hard on the bottom.
because of the depth of the river at distance most of the time the top hook is off the bottom anyway so the crabs cant touch it

PootyTang
Occasional
Occasional

Post by PootyTang » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Thanks for the replys fellas . Regarding the pop ups i have to agree with dabhand . In the river sometimes you have to deal with the crabs to get your fish and fish hard to the bottom . The good thing is when the crab go you know there are fish about so watch your tip !!!!