What the hell was that all about!!!

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
Inzamam

What the hell was that all about!!!

Post by Inzamam » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:38 pm

ok well just got in from my last fishing trip of the summer, i decided according to some local tackle shops to fish next the pier, the tide was 7.5m at 1;20pm, I got there for 3 o'clock in the morning when the tide was just going out, unreal totally unreal in 16 hours of fishing i caught nothing more than a large piece of seaweed, i had peeler crab, squid and lug, i had been told the bass had arrived and were feeding amongst the pier stantions and i tell you it was rubbish, i didnt even had a bite, my brother caught a very small eel and the most tinest ray in the world!! well im not going back and am fed up !! lol

sportstar

Post by sportstar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:52 am

16 hours fishing and not even a bite thats not good i hope things get better on your next trip may be you should ask the locals were the best places to fish and some advice on what bait to use and rigs good luck .

Inzamam

Post by Inzamam » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:13 am

hi mate, thats the thing, i did for the past 2 weeks every few days i have rung the local tackle shops and clubs, they have all told me that where i was going was great, this is the 3rd time this month ive fished hastings and 3rd time ive blanked for this long, i just cant work it out, ive banged on for advice here for weeks and got some good stuff, but its just been terrible, im depressed today lol

sportstar

Post by sportstar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:31 am

hi im not from your area but if im going sea fishing i try and fish night tides as day tides dont produce as much fish a 7.5 m tide is a small tide over here on the blackpool coast if i was you i would go to my local beach were people are fishing and ask a few questions like what are the best tides and what baits work best and the best rigs ive been on a few fishing sessions and blanked so your not on your own you have just got to keep trying try a new location i hope this helps and good luck

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:35 pm

You only have to read the reports here to realise this is not uncommon. Shore fishing is slow going I'm afraid. Right place, right tide can catch you fish; it's all very specific when fish stocks are low. There don't even appear to have been many mackerel about this year.

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Inzamam

What kind of rigs/hook size were you using- how were you preparing your peeler crab and baiting up with it?

maniacmark

Post by maniacmark » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi
Unlucky on the blank, not fished Hastings, but here on the south coast 7.5 tide is quite high. I've not seen one much above 8. I did notice on a recent trip to cornwall that they have 11 or 12 as a high. Not much here in Folkestone at the moment, Mackeral during the daylight and doggies and pout after dark.

Mark

Inzamam

Post by Inzamam » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:52 pm

hi all thanks for you replies, ive heard so many great things about hastings and ive just had no luck, im fairly new to this sea fishing lark and despite blanking im still enjoying it, its just that i cant believe how slow and how little fish ive experienced, i was using pennel rigs with size 3/0 hooks as i was told that the bass were about between the pier stantions, with the peeler crab which was live i was, removing all shell the cutting it in half but not all the way through so it made it long but still in one piece, then hooking it through and then whipping it up, the juices were unreal my loft with the gear in still stinks! lol , however after a few hours of this not working i then whipped a squid up on a pennell rig on 2 rods, then on my third rod i had a patonaster rig knocked up with lug worm on size 1/0 hooks 9 alot smaller than my size 3/0's, when this combination wasnt working i then switched to all peeler crab, i tried presenting the crab whole, and then live and then with shell on and hooking it through the back leg socket and out, then I swithched onto strips of squid , as an ex carp fisherman bait presentation and placement was everything so im convinced that i did all i could i just know that the fish were not there, about 50 yards away a guy caught a tiny weever fish but as i said very dissapointment , hightide was 2am and we got there for just after so i think we did 5 hours downtide and it came in a 1:20pm and fished untill 6pm, so is that 4 hours down, 6 hours uptide, and then nearly 5 hours down? i really dont think i could have done any more, but i tell you it beats being in my flooring shop which is struggling at the moment with all the stresses that brings, just me my brother the sand and sea and a bucket of plump peeler, the only thing missing was the fish!! lol which to be honest was dissapointing but i still had a great day and i have come over from the dark side of freshwater to the light side of the sea lol. When is genereally the best time to fish tho on the south east? 2 up and 2 down?

how can i be upset at this...... hope this works

I have decided that i may go back there someday........lol we hate to love it

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:53 pm

the first way you describe of presenting the peeler is generally the correct way- sticking them on whole and unpeeled is a waste of a peeler- the idea with peeler is to cut the crab in two to release the juices and get as much scent as possible.

In general I cant see you're doing much wrong- try scaling down on the hook size- maybe a size 1 kamasan. Or even go smaller to a size 2 specimen carp hook.

Whole squid can be good on its day but generally shore fishing I use it on a 3rd rod in the forlorn hope of attracting a big bass or cod- again if you want to use whole squid try and expose the guts to get the scent going. strips of squid should be used to tip off rather than on their own- not much scent otherwise.

Not sure how far you're casting but casting a reasonable distance at hastings will help. It s easier to cast better distance with small baits so maybe stick to worm in the main and tip off with a bit of squid.

As long as you're enjoying it that's all that matters.

Inzamam

Post by Inzamam » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:03 am

hi mate great advice , im still learning with all this so i appreciate your help, my third rod was fished close in although i did move it about a bit to vary things, as to distance to be honest i do whack a lead out a merry distance, there were a few people on the beach fishinf fishing and without being too cocky i was out wanging them by a country mile so distance wasnt a problem, but no doubt ill go again in the future, when you have a bad session you just want to get straight back out and get it out of your system!
oh well thanks for advice

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:59 am

90% luck, 10% knowhow although to be fair being well informed as to correct proceedures as to tackle, bait, tides and location does play a good part in catching fish. The advice given by other members is spot on!

It's part and parcel of sea fishing, that one day a location will produce the goods while the next day results in a blank.

The times Iv'e heard folk say "You should have been here last week!"

I notice from the pics that it was a very calm day. I have always found that movement in the water encourages the fish to feed.

Keep at it and good luck.
Cheers
keith :D :D

Inzamam

Post by Inzamam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:23 pm

hi rabbi, yeah it was a beautiful day very calm gin clear water so not ideal feeding conditions, the thing is with this scenario is that when choosing this location the idea poppep into my head that as it was the monday this area would have been rammed on the sunday with swimmers and bathers, now could that have had an adverse effect on the fishing, somehow the fish were spooked ? does this happen in sea fishing as it would in lake fishing? That crossed my mind to be honest, but maybe I just have to put it down to a bad day!
I want to get back out there and give it another go, I love hastings and I think once ive got to grips with good locations ill be alright.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:02 pm

Check out the location during low water and look for any gullies (fish holding area's) within casting distance if possible, you could always ground bait the area with fish guts and fish heads mashed up in an onion sack and fasten the sack to a large rock.

Movement in the water is in my opinion a must, even at high water the fish tend to go of the feed.
Best of luck.
cheers
keith :D :D

Inzamam

Post by Inzamam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:11 pm

hi rabbi, well ive looked at this at low tide and there is nothing there but sand and pier stantions, i chose this mark because surely this would provide natural food and holding areas for the fish?? how would you fish this keith?