Live Peeler Crab

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
Inzamam

Live Peeler Crab

Post by Inzamam » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:32 am

Hi all again just to call uopn your experience, i have 50 big old plump peeler crab my local deeler is apparently the only guy in kent to have them ( 65p), to use for this trip tommorow and I just wandered what i need to do to keep them in good condition on the shore, should i just wet the seaweed they came in ( in a bucket) with sea water or just leave them, they are currently residing in a fridge at my office!!
Just some general help would be great, as a a keen carp fisherman this sea fishing lark is well daunting! But this is my first season and im enjoying it thi

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:46 pm

I would separate them into three or four ice cream size tubs cover them in the wet seaweed or you can use kitchen roll doused in sea water making sure you keep them cool in your cool box- then periodically give them a little drink with fresh sea water if you're planning a long session. To be honest if you got them today or yesterday they should be fine all day tomorrow if you keep them cool.

BTW 65p a crab is a very good price per peeler esp if they're a decent size.

Inzamam

Post by Inzamam » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:39 pm

brilliant, thanks again for that, i just went to check on the today as its about 2am im going tonight and some of them appear to be dead? they were all perfect yesterday and they are big too, i was told by my angling shop to just keep them in the fridge, is it because the fridge was extra cold ( not icy tho) that they appear dead whereas they may just be sleepy and docile? they did seem very lathergic, and if some have died can i still use them?

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:58 pm

if your fridge was extra cold it could just be that they're asleep and or docile- they'll stink if they've died but if youre not sure you could separate them from the others if you're worried - TBH I've had crabs I thought were dead but they start moving once I picked them up and they woke up. try not to play with them too much and deal with it when youre on the beach- 50 crabs is enough for a very long session - if theyre big you prob only need to use half a crab per bait.

good luck

Inzamam

Post by Inzamam » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:07 am

fantastic advice, ill let you know how i get on, its now 2:06 am and just leaving! tigh lines