Looking for a sole

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
jobbo

Looking for a sole

Post by jobbo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:47 am

Recall reading a few years back about a daytime sole mark at Gravesend

thinking of trying for this elusive fish but would like a few pointers in the right direction also anywhere goodup there for some suitable bait to catch them

any help is appreciated

Jobbo

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:09 pm

Never caught one in daylight and don't know anyone who has; pointers:
Dark quiet night, near a sandbank, small hooks, lugworm, use no light except for baiting up, don't strike just give them a few minutes messing about until you get definite tug then reel in. Besttime of year is August to November.

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:21 pm

I've caught plenty of sizeable sole in daytime on the East Anglian coast- but as the other poster says dont strike on the first bite- they suck up the bait- I've usually caught them on lug or lug/rag using size 6 kamasan short shank hooks.

MikeO

Post by MikeO » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:14 pm

I've always found the key to catching sole in the daytime is to fish after a good blow when the waters all coloured up. Had good results from Brighton Marina on ragworm fishing in those sort of conditions even while the seas still been rough.

andymad
Regular
Regular

Post by andymad » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:44 pm

the ship and lobster at gravesend is where they get the sole;greys wharf is another venue and the sole are starting to show now

jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jay180 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:50 pm

you will have no probs catching them in the river even on a bright hot sunny day, the river is so muddy an dark it dont affect the soles confidence to feed. use a treble hooker, 4 inch wire booms 6-8 inch snoods size 4 or 2 aberdeen hooks. i find i have my best results on smaller tides an areas where the tide is not running hard. good luck look forward to the pics
jay

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:15 pm

MikeO wrote:I've always found the key to catching sole in the daytime is to fish after a good blow when the waters all coloured up. Had good results from Brighton Marina on ragworm fishing in those sort of conditions even while the seas still been rough.
Going to give it a go for them at shoreham I hear a few have been landed on the arm.

Daz

Inzamam

Post by Inzamam » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:20 pm

gravesend is a local for me and yes, sole is great, just avoid a saturday as its rammed! ok its on gravesend denton wharf industrial estate, you follow brown signs to it coming out of town heading towards rochester/higham, come through town one way system untill you come to clocktower , turn left there untill you get immediately to a set of lights, take 2nd exit (ordanance road) and the follow signs to denton wharf estate, then carry on past the port of london authority building and then follow signs for ship n lobster, walk in front if the pub for about half a mile and just out there, great fishing when its on, lug is great , small hooks and keep it simple,
enjoy