We all make mistakes...

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
colinthefish
Regular
Regular

We all make mistakes...

Post by colinthefish » Sun May 20, 2012 9:03 pm

Today was the first time I have been fishing this year due to illness and an operation, so it was with some excitement I set off for Leysdown to fish with a brand new rod I received from the wife as a Christmas present. It wasn't exactly an unknown quantity as I already own a Shakespear Salt MX and had asked the wife for another so I could fish a matched pair. The first has already lasted me two seasons and I've found casting it very easy. The Salt MX comes with a reducer - quite why its called a reducer when it extends the rod is beyond me and the first had stood up well to my attempts of casting.

So today I used the new rod on its first trip out. The first 3 or 4 casts were gentle and uneventful - so on the next cast I decided to crank up the power a little. This is where I went wrong - for despite having had no problems in casting my original Salt MX when I cast out there was an almighty crack and the reducer shattered in half!!!

Now some of you might have already spotted my mistake, whilst others may, like me be less well informed. For having returned home and having done a little research on the web, I learn you are not supposed to cast with the reducer on!!!

This is something I did not realise and to be honest had managed to do with my first MX for 2 seasons - so it was something of a lesson to learn I'm an idiot!!!

To make matters worse I now realise to use my MX rods properly I have to adjust my casting technique completely with the reel low and pump the rod out with my right arm gripping the rod rather than controlling the reel.

And I need to source a new reducer that will fit - and first impressions after surfing the web is that they are not very easy to find.

So there you go - a costly mistake!!!