HYTHE,newbie's

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
IBAFISHRU2

HYTHE,newbie's

Post by IBAFISHRU2 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 am

Hello and thank you for letting me join your forum, I have recently been persuaded by my son to go halves on a couple of cheap beach casting rigs,as we are both freshwater anglers, so not entirely green.Last friday 9th march we took ourselves down to Hythe beach near to the golf course at about 10.30a.m.(h/t 11.10) and fished until 2.30p.m.with a double flapper rig using size 2 hks,5oz.lead,bait as advised at Mick's tackle,black lug tipped with squid. It was faily windy blowing on shore and cold,we had a few bites more than likely crabs,just as we were packing up I caught a nice plaice of just over a pound,I think we were casting around the 50 yd mark.We both enjoyed the day,although it was only a short visit.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:43 pm

Welcome to the forums ;) You done well to catch a plaice as it is a fish that a lot of people have trouble catching(including me).

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:53 pm

A warm welcome to the forums mate, glad to have you join us. Plaice, dabs and flounder can be caught fairly close inshore, within the first 50yds, if at anytime you are not getting bites then vary your distance. Lug on its own is a good bait for nearly all spices, don't forget the humble mussel as it's a killer bait for flatties on a thin wire Aberdeen hook using bait elastic. These you can collect from piers, rocks and harbour walls an stansions. The beauty being you bait costs you now't lol.

Keep us posted as regards future catches and tight lines.
Cheers
keith :D :D

maniacmark

Post by maniacmark » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:53 pm

Hi
welcome to the forum, Hythe is one of my regular spots. It does fish better after dark, when short casts work as well as long. my son uses an eight foot rod and catches in 20 yds. Good for whitting, pouting, flatties, the rare cod or bass and dogfish.

cheers

Mark