where to fish in Pagham

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
timmie

where to fish in Pagham

Post by timmie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm staying at Church Farm Holiday Village in Pagham in July. I will be taking a spinning rod that can also be used for fishing the bottom. Where is the best places to fish around there? I will be fishing early hours of the morning for about 4 hours a day. So bottom fishing for Bass or spinning, baits etc. Look forward to receiving as much info as possible.

Cheers
Tim

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Welcome to the forums. You will pick up some nice bream and bass around that area but *beware* The smoothhounds will be there in force so you might get a surprise on a spinning rod. If you could take something a bit meatier then it would be best. 3 hook flappers using rag tipped with mackeral will see you ok. The smoothhounds can go up to 30lbs so expect your spinning rod to not last long and they will take any bait if they are hungry ;).

But then again you might be safe in daylight hours but you may not :D

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:19 pm

A warm welcome to the forums mate
Cheers
keith :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:57 pm

I agree with flattie, July is prime time for smuts and if you hook one with a spinning rod, it could well smash up your gear. That's just one of the reasons why I use an uptider rod for spinning in the summer - much tougher rod but still light enough for continual casting.

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Welcome tim as FF said watch out for those hounds I have had a 10lb 4oz at pagham in day light on rag tipped with squid.Was a surprise but a good one hope your rod holds up :D

TIGHT LINES M8 DAZ B-) B-)

P.S if you can fish an evening as light drops or dark its great fun, best time of the fishing year for me those smuts do hang on.Hard backs I found best for bait.

timmie

Post by timmie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:14 am

cheers fellas for the info, i see like a jetty wall on google maps by the entrance of the harbour not far from the caravan park on where I will be staying is that a good place to fish? or do I need to go in front on the beach? I know I ask so many questions for a newby and do I fish the bottom for Bass or spin?

Cheers helpers!

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:45 am

The few times I have fished pagham its been the front not the jetty,I am sure someone will give you more info.As said before the smuts will be running about then and you may need a stronger rod (as eccles said an uptider)I personally would fish bottom with any of these baits rag,squid,mackeral,hardbacks or peelers.Hope that helps M8 ;)
If you post closer the time you may find one of the lads is down there when you are.

CHEERS DAZ B-)

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:52 am

wannacatch1 wrote: If you post closer the time you may find one of the lads is down there when you are.

CHEERS DAZ B-)
Good point m8, also the other factor you need to think about is the weed. This can come in huge amounts and if it does a spinning rod with a rig on the bottom will snap your rod on the retrieve :(

Just another thought ;)

timmie

Post by timmie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:10 pm

What is the Jetty like for fishing? and what are you expected to catch off there?

Cheers

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:20 am

Same species as what i posted before m8. If you want bass and probably mackeral will be there too then i would stick with spinning. That way your covering plenty of area rather than being static ;)

timmie

Post by timmie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:35 am

could anyone recommend any lures/spinners off there!

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:23 pm

For a bit of fun I would use day light feathers weighted with a dexter wedge always chance of a bass aswell as mackeral (no mackeral showing as yet)

DAZ B-)

timmie

Post by timmie » Tue May 15, 2012 2:36 pm

any prefenence on spinners/lures to use?

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Wed May 16, 2012 6:56 am

Its all trial and error mate. If there is surface activity then a popper might be an idea lure. Unfortunately there is no one lure that suits all ;)

P.S Just try to get imitation mackeral colour lures or surface ones with a little rattle. When the mackeral come in the bass are never far behind them ;)

timmie

Post by timmie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:11 pm

NO LUCK GUYS! some nice mullet around but i didnt have any of the right gear. I spoke with tackle shop in Bognor and they said that there are no bass around at all. The last day fishing by the mouth with tide coming in I was on the rocks, slipped head butted the rock and knocked myself out cold! luckily i came round and got to safety.
Is there a size on images to upload as I have a couple of great pictures to show