A really sad day...

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
colinthefish
Regular
Regular

A really sad day...

Post by colinthefish » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:10 am

As some of you may know from previous posts, I try to fish with my 75 year old dad as much as possible. I live on the Isle of Sheppey and he lives on the Isle of Wight, so we try to take turns on fishing the Islands with Deal or Hythe thrown in for good measure. My dad has been really ill since he was 30 odd with heart disease and despite two bypasses he has never really recovered from his heart attacks but has gone through life not letting it stop him from doing what he wanted and probably over doing it on far to many ocassions. Recently his health has gone down hill and the hospital wont operate because he would not survive the op. So when I phoned him just after Christmas to arrange a fishing session on the IOW, I was not too surprised to hear him tell me he was going to give the fishing up as he couldnt do it anymore.

On Saturday I went down to see him as he has not been well. Whilst there he struggled to his fishing shed, where laid out was most of his rods and tackle. He asked me to take them with me when I leave. At that moment I realised I would never share the special time I have had with my dad on a beach again. I also now realise from our conversation, he is preparing himself for the end - he said he wanted to sort it out whilst he could as his wife wouldnt have a clue what to give me and what to throw when he is gone.

My dad left me when I was a child. He was not always the best of people in his younger years, but he was always there if needed and his heart was always in the right place. Our times on the beach when I was a young teenager were special but the recent years when I was old enough to understand his previous actions and wise enough to know he was getting to the twilight of his life are so special to me.

I know he is not gone yet and hope we share many more times together still but his quitting fishing is something I am already mourning.

Should he be reading this (he does look at this forum from time to time) I'd like to say "Thanks Dad - you mean the world to me".

Sorry for the slushy stuff but wanted to express how I feel.

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:39 am

sorry to hear that your dad has decided to hang up his rods,you have had something alot of people could only wish for quality time on the beach in each others company.I wish him all the best in the future.I'm sure you will put his gear to good use ;)

DAZ :D

Yakdiver
Regular
Regular

Post by Yakdiver » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:45 am

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:37 am

I found your post very moving Colin. Thanks for sharing that with us.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:16 am

PM sent Colin mate.
Cheers
keith

dabhand
Regular
Regular

Post by dabhand » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:50 pm

sorry to hear the sad news colin mate.
i dont know what to say really.
you loved you fishing trips with your dad.
i am sure you will catch loads of fish with his gear.
i showed your post to my wife and it bought a tear to her eye. very moving.
we will have to meet up again soon for a session, maybe over my side of the medway and fish grain or allhallows.
catch up soon mate
cheers Gary

colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Post by colinthefish » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks to every one for your kind comments. Not like me to get slushy but writing the post after getting back from seeing my Dad and picking up the tackle at the weekend, really seemed the right thing to do and helped me reconcile it all in my head.
Thanks again.

SimonV
Occasional
Occasional

Post by SimonV » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:56 pm

Such a sad / nice post.
I hope i have that bond with my kids when they grow up. I would love it if they take up angling. Aiden (nearly 4) shows an interest, even catching a small Roach)
I must admit, my Dad was / is a great Dad, allways helping with my hobbies, even taking over my football team for a few years :)

All the best Colin.

silver
Occasional
Occasional

Post by silver » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:58 pm

Really sad news Colin. Iam in a similar situation with my dad, horrible feelin mate....... all the best to you and yours mate...john

fatsplasher

Post by fatsplasher » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:34 pm

Very moving story Colin,make the memories whilst you can,cherish them always, they will never leave you, and I wish you and your Dad well.