The Pier adjacent to Staples, Chatham

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
colinthefish
Regular
Regular

The Pier adjacent to Staples, Chatham

Post by colinthefish »

Can anyone tell me if you are allowed to fish off the small pier that is adjacent to Staples in Chatham and if so, is it any good?

Plus is the Staples car park open 24/7 to use?

Only reason for asking is wife dragged me to Staples for some stationary on Saturday and I walked down the pier for the first time ever - despite having lived in Kent for over 20 years now!

dabhand
Regular
Regular

Post by dabhand »

hi colin mate, to be totally honest i am not sure now.
a while back there was steps at the end of the pier that led down to a floating pontoon that rose and dropped with the tide. people always fished off it cause it is deep water there, but i think the pontoon was damaged and has sunk or been removed altogether. if it has sunk i would imagine fishing off the pier would be impossible but if the pontoon has been removed then i should imagine you can fish off the end.
it has been a few months since i walked on the pier so cant be a100% now.
staples car park is private for the shop only and i think is gated but dont quote me on it. when you were on the pier, which is called sun pier by the way, and looked opposite you would be looking at M.C.E. medway city estate. i will have to meet up with you one day and fish m.c.e.
the next time i am down near the river i will check for certain about sun pier for you.
will defo have to meet up in the new year for another session
cheers gary

cloverpirate

the pier @ staples chatham

Post by cloverpirate »

Hi Colin, The pier you refer to is known as Sun Pier,i used to fish there quite a lot,and was a pontoon pier wiith a wooden deck. It used to be a very popular venue and i have over the years caught a good few basss,whiting cod and flatties all of good condition.The last time i fished there was over a year ago,when i had 4 bass all over 3ib.Alas tht was last time i could fish there as soon afterwards the local tnny and drug idiots decided it would good to have a nice camp fire thereby setting the decking ablaze The local authorities demolshed the rest of the decking but left the iron runners etc.So the end of pier as is now could be very snaggy i personally will not be fishing there anymore,a very great shame i really enjoed sessions there . Hope all this answers your questions. Tite Lines, Clover pirate {vic}

colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Post by colinthefish »

Hi Dabhand & Clover Pirate,
Thanks for the info - such a shame it seems that it isn't going to be easy to fish - especially because its as a result of idiots.
Colin