Sandfire hoe

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
maniacmark

Sandfire hoe

Post by maniacmark » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:18 pm

Has anbody fished sandfire hoe at low water?
I know that its a very snaggy area and considered a bit of float fishing. A colleague went on friday and got a lot of wrasse and a bass of 3lb. He did loose a lot of tackle for his trouble.

Mark

mulletover
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mulletover » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi
Samphire always has water. At low tide you will probably have to caste out a bit as the water gets shallow below the wall. It's hard to guess but low tide is about 2m down below the wall, you can see the bottom if the waters clear.
It is snaggy, but seems a luck thing. I fished the west end last week casting out and lost nothing, just bent a hook. Having said that I always keep tackle super simple, plain leads and wire hooks which will give if you snag.

Fished there yesterday. Mackeral were about so busy with lots feathering. I caught a decent wrasse about 1 1/2 lb, possibly my biggest, and a big pout and a few small ones.
Did do a bit of feathering and came home with 7 mackeral, 4 returned too small.

There has been plenty of decent dogfish to squid at distance if you're bold and caste as far as you can.

Despite it's bad reputation for snagging, I like samphire and still think it will give up some very good bass soon!

Hope this is of some use.
Good luck
Martin

PS I've never blanked at samphire which says something, and my best bass have been from there!

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:08 am

hi can anyone tell me where is samphire hoe is ie a post code and how hard is it to get to for disabled access .
cheers steve

cloverpirate

samphire hoe

Post by cloverpirate » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi Steve. SamphireHoe can be reached by driving thro the tunnnel which is sign posted on the A20 driving from Dover ti Folkestone.The Hoe has pay and display parking and a tea kiosk and is owned by Eurotunnel.If at any time you want to try the hoe let me know,i have a booklet at homegiving details of best routesand access for disablled people with whel chairs etc.Pm or ring me whenever cheers vic

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:50 pm

will do vic pencil it in for a couple of weeks time mate
cheers steve

dabhand
Regular
Regular

Post by dabhand » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:20 pm

hi guys. i av never fished samphire either, partly because of the reputation it has as a tackle graveyard but your comments martin about never blanking there etc and the info you gave has made me change my mind and fancy a trip there now. cheers mate.
steve, if you and vic are going down there in a couple weeks give us a ring and i will join you guys. always good to fish somewhere new.
cheers gary

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:22 pm

thats a date gary
but only in the fishing terms yuo understand :D :D :D :D . will be good to have another meet up and do some fishing mate
cheers steve

mulletover
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mulletover » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:28 pm

If you guys are going at the weekend and I'm free I'd love to tag along if thats ok?

If the weather is good I have found Sat quieter than Sunday, which can get mobbed with feather chuckers.
I haven't had a really good fish there for a while, although the wrasse was a good size. My best fishing there in one summer were 2 bass, one at just under 5 and one just over. Oddly I caught two mullet of about the same size, and guess what.................... all on bluey!!!! Couldn't believe the mullet taking bluey baits. However that was the last time I caught anything good on them!
These fish and the wrasse the weekend all came dropping down the wall, not casting. I use a ledger type rig, put a plain lead on my shock leader and have a 20lb trace about 6 foot. Let the weight drop slowly until I feel the bottom and wind the weight up a touch. That way I know I'll only loose a hook at worst.
I use the same rig if I'm casting, keeping things that might snag to a minimum. Wire hooks are good as they bend out of stuff which helps.

Steve, if you can get your scooter down there it would be easy. Straight out of the car, down a gentle sloping ramp and the wall itself is flat and wide. Sometimes you have to go along the wall to get a space so you would probably need it.

It's also worth a call to make sure there are no comps on. I went down a couple of years ago and they had a european comp on which took the whole wall on both Sat and Sunday.
I was a bit niffed I couldnt fish there but went off to POW pier instead. Next time I was down there I asked about the results in the cafe, over two days approx 2,300 fish were caught!!!!

Martin

cloverpirate

samphireho

Post by cloverpirate » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:35 pm

looks like were going to have us a convoy in a couple of weeks guys.Lookout you dover fish,better go hide the pirate is coming to raid

dabhand
Regular
Regular

Post by dabhand » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:46 pm

hi martin, steve and vic.
yep ,if we can make it for either the 16th or 17th of this month, not this weekend but next that would be cool. i will sort it with my wife, (not that i need permission you understand lol)
cheers gary

maniacmark

Post by maniacmark » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:38 pm

mulletover
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mulletover » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:12 pm

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:53 am

hi lads
i wont know if i can make sat 16th untill this sunday .i know i cant make the sun 17th . i will post or give you guys a ring and let you knoiw .
cheers steve

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:18 pm

hi lads
sorry but i cant make the 16th or 17th but will sort a day out and let you all know
cheers steve

maniacmark

Post by maniacmark » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:57 pm

managed to get to Sandfire Hoe on Sat 9th, I was suprised at the number of anglers there. Fished from 2 til 6 with a west wind pulling the lines along, Had to resort to 6oz breakaways. The first 5 casts pruduced 4 reasonable sized pout, lots of missed bites, my son caught 2 pout of about the same size. Tackle loss was minimal with 6 bent hooks and 1 lost lead. By all acounts we did better than most. High tide was just after 6, our main baits were black lug and squid. Tried to go again Tuesday eve but the tunnel was conned off. Ended up on rotunda beach and again small pout the only fish landed. Plans are being drawn up for an all nighter once the kids breack up from school, not sure where to go yet.

Mark