2nd trip of the year - POW Pier Dover 26/2

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

2nd trip of the year - POW Pier Dover 26/2

Post by pompeykev »

Despite the rubbish weather forecast, I wasn't going to miss out so set off for the 80 mile drive to Dover at 7:30. The nearer I got to my destination, the worse the weather got until I was almost driving blind through fog and spray from the torrential rain.

There are times when you doubt your sanity and, on arrival in Dover, driving down the hill I could see through the driving rain the waves smashing against the Admirality Pier - my intended fishing spot. The forecast NW wind had failed to move round from the west......

Popped into Brazil's to collect my (very good quality) bait and the bloke serving me suggested I try the Prince of Wales Pier as it would be more sheltered from the wind and there is a good shelter with seating half way along. Sorted! Target species was again dab with hopes for a dogfish or stray codling.

Fished a clipped down two hook rig at distance and a two hook flapper closer in with a variety of baits - disintegrating frozen blacks (for the dabs), blacks and blow lug, squid, sprats and mackerel.

Low tide was 12:05 so I fished it down with no luck - although from the constant nibbles it was apparent that there were mobs of pin whiting out there. The bloke fishing next to me had a good size (but incredibly skinny) whiting which went back. As the tide turned he started to bag up - if that's a phrase that can be used for whiting the size of fairground goldfish - so I changed hook sizes down from 1s to 4s.

The wind finally changed round to the forecast NW - just ideal to drive the rain along the pier and into the majority of the shelter. I've fished in better conditions - impossible to see bites because of the wind bouncing the rod tips around - and was starting to get pretty wet, cold and hacked off.

Finally broke my duck with the target species - a small dab on sprat, but I wanted some for the table! Unfortunately, the rest of the day up till high tide at 5:30 was spent either watching the seal that was patrolling up and down just out of casting distance or pulling in pins. The weather improved as the day went on - wind dropping to almost nothing and the rain stopped - and I packed up at high tide a far happier angler than at lunchtime. Single dab, a dozen pins and blank avoided!

Seeing that Davy and Browners from another site have managed odd rays in the past week, next trip may be to Sandwich or Sheppey to find one for myself!

Kev

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi kev
i fish the pow a fair bit .ive had some very nice size yting and seen some very nice size doggie from there but as you say mainly small stuff .but ive never blanked there even with sammie the seal about .always been good for a day out .i normaly try and fish the very far end as normaly do better down thereand theres the fact that if you have a blue badge or anyone in the car with you has one you can park on the pier .great disabled access
steve

pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by pompeykev »

DCM

I'll give it another go later in the year - heard from passing loons (they must have been to be out in that weather!) that there are a load of dogs in the summer plus pollack etc. Got to be worth another go.

Cheers

Kev

dabhand
Regular
Regular

Post by dabhand »

good report mate, welldone. not much to show for a long round trip but at least you did catch. walmer is a good option as well. i have already had codling, doggies, dabs etc this year already at walmer beach. had a nice 8 and a half pound thornie there last summer as well. well worth a go there

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi kev yep i saw a photo on a blokes phone last year of a 5lb pollock from stright down the side of the pier but not actuly seen one cought
steve

pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by pompeykev »

Dabhand

Thanks for the Walmer tip - will give it a look before too long. The bloke fishing next to me was saying that it's also pretty good for a variety of species at Deal Pier so I may also give that a try. Don't know many other places where cuckoo wrasse (according to him at least) are a possibility from the shore. I've only fished the beach at Deal and got a single poor cod for my efforts so I reckon I'm due some luck in the area!

Cheers

Kev

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi kev why not come along to the charity match on the 17th april at deal pier full details in the southeast forum
steve