First trip of the year - White Horses, Pevensey

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

First trip of the year - White Horses, Pevensey

Post by pompeykev »

Well I finally got off my a*se and got down to the coast for my first dangle in 2 months. Picked up some bait at Anglers Den and headed off to White Horses to fish from low up.

Started off at about 1:00 but, although it was a nice day (didn't put a jacket on for the first 3 hours despite the westerly breeze), it took quite a while before anything took an interest.

I was fishing a pulley pennel with black lug and squid at distance, though nowhere near as far out as the bloke next to me - Tony (aka Noddy 1410). I was also fishing a couple of blinged up size 4 flappers with frozen lug tipped with bits of sprat and squid much closer in in the hope of dabs which have apparently been numerous - loads "yesterday" according to Anglers Den. Very expectant and positive...

Tony was first off the mark with a nice keeper flounder and I eventually followed with a smaller specimen on the flapper rod. After that it got a bit quiet again so Tony attempted to show me how to pendulum cast with the new 16ft Penn Affinity Twin Tip that I was trying out for the first time. Must be said that I had mixed success but certainly improved my distances using a partial pendulum cast - shame the fish didn't seem to appreciate it.....

Fished till about 7:00 - a couple of hours after high - and managed to christen the new rod with a 30cm whiting. Tried to take a photo but the camera battery was too low to manage flash so you'll just have to believe me on that one - though Tony was a witness!. Once the camera's recharged, I'll upload the flattie photo so Lee (Cuckoo) can see how easy it is for everyone else to catch them.

Not a bad first session of the year - no blank and 2 species - but disappointing that the target species (dab) failed to show. I expect they were all up at Dungie.

Looking forward to the next trip and to hearing how my brother got on at Middleton today.

Cheers

Kev

AndyH
Occasional
Occasional

Post by AndyH »

Hi Kev,
I'm new to this area and looking for places to go fishing, can you please advise me where White horses in Pevensey is?

Andy H

cuckoo

Post by cuckoo »

Lol kev , wheres the pic mate :D i do so love to see pics of flounder :D :D

pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by pompeykev »

Andy H

Just along from Sovereign Harbour, past the Martello Tower in front of the new housing estate, by the last beach-side bungalow which is called "White Horses". You access it through the holiday park road (can't remember the name) but you need to park on the side of the road before the holiday park proper. You then walk down to the bottom and turn right. You'll see White Horses on your left and the beach access is just there.

Cuckoo

I'll put the pic up shortly!!

Kev

pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by pompeykev »

Cuckoo

Here you go - oh ye of little faith!

[img][img]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9978/sdc10190w.jpg[/img]
[/img]

AndyH
Occasional
Occasional

White Horses

Post by AndyH »

Kev,

Many thanks for the info, I live 10 mins awayso I'll have to try it out soon.

Andy

cuckoo

Post by cuckoo »

pompeykev wrote:Cuckoo

Here you go - oh ye of little faith!

[img][img]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9978/sdc10190w.jpg[/img]
[/img]

Love it mate , better than a double figure bass B-)

pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by pompeykev »

Cuckoo

Nah - now you're just being silly.......

Assuming it stays open, I will defo get across to TQ later in the year to try a live pout down the side for one of those!

Next target a thornie from Sandwich Bay or Sheppey next month and a plaice from Langney Point (or Eastney, or Hayling etc)...

Kev