Targetting Flounder

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Targetting Flounder

Post by colinthefish »

Ok I know its a fish much frowned upon but the bay just 300 yards from where I live on the Isle of Sheppey was featured in Sea Angler about a year ago as an excellent place to catch flounder. As I'm only just out of hospital after suffering bleeding into my stomach over the weekend I dont fancy wandering too far away this coming weekend or casting far so I think its time I gave Rushenden Bay a crack. Was thinking of using a 3 hook flapper with size 2 hooks and beads/sequins on each. Its rough ground and you wont find the bay on any tourist poster but I think it will be worth a few hours fishing.
If anyone knows of a better rig to use, let me know.

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 »

hi mate
i enjoy flounder fishing
they save our bacon in the quiet months
i prefer a 3 boomed rig with short snoods, its less prone to tangles and fishes just as well as a 3 hook flapper in my opinion for our flat friends.
personally i would go for slightly bigger long shanked fine wire hooks
cos them flounders are greedy buggers

tight lines mate

dabhand
Regular
Regular

Post by dabhand »

hi mate. likewise i love catching flounder. plenty of them around where i live. i prefer to use a simple running ledger rig loaded with multi coloured beads or a simple 2 hook paternoster with size 1 hooks, again loaded with beads.
good luck mate

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 »

YEP
YOU CANNOT HAVE TOO MANY BEADS

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

Bling is the way forward ;)

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

i like a look around the haberdasheries for beads and stuff. came accross some that looked just like fish eyes the other week. not sure as to wether they are any better than pain ones, but they look the business...

i know ......tart...... lol

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

try to fish 2 rods and have beads on one trace and just a hook on the other to see of it makes a difference.
as far as i know beads arent part of a flounders normal diet :D :D :D :D

robc22
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by robc22 »

Nothing better than a plate of fresh flounder!!.....

colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Post by colinthefish »

Fishing now rescheduled for Sunday or Monday - Spent this afternoon making 3 hook flappers - was a case of "Pimp my rig" so much bling Liberace would be proud!

Will fish one rod as "Plain Jane" and one as the "Blinged up hussey". Will let you know how it goes.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

You may like to try a 2 hook flapper with a running ledger below with the usual beads of course. By the way get well soon mate.
Cheers
keith :D :D

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

i was ot yesterday twice, on both occasions my beade rigs were doing the job compared to the plain ones. admitedly only 5 onsize flounder betwee two of us, but still fairly representetive !

oh and a little blu/white muppet with a small worm was proving quite popular to the small stuff.

Graham

colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Post by colinthefish »

Well went to Rushenden Bay at low tide to fish it back in and the tide was so far out I think it would have been a shorter distance to go to France than to wait for the tide. So decided to try and fish under the old Sheppey "Kings Ferry" bridge. What a disaster!!!
First 5 casts = 5 snags with loss of hooks, weights and one complete Rig.
On the 6th cast snagged again, so utterly fed up, I packed up, liberated my remaining lug back to the sea and called it a day. Well I did promise to cook the wife a meal tonight and I'm going back to work tomorrow after my time off due to being in hospital.
Will try a more regular spot next weekend.

dabhand
Regular
Regular

Post by dabhand »

at least you had a go mate..... and you have inadvertantly done me a favour cause i was gonna give the kings ferry bridge a go this year having not fished it for years but if its that snaggy i wont bother!!