its official!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
joliroger

its official!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by joliroger » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:35 pm

This is the WORST start to a Cod season in living memory as confirmed by Deal pier .................................., what is going on ???? :((

mulletover
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mulletover » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:08 pm

with you on that!!! might have to do a marine biology course soon coz I just dont understand it!!!

fishhunter
Regular
Regular

Post by fishhunter » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:08 pm

move to Arbroath mate

joliroger

Post by joliroger » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:51 am

Hi Fishunter.....................on that basis one would assume that it is a hot spot at the moment?????????????, anymore details.

Regards..................JOLI

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:15 am

or move to rainy cork in ireland :D .
"de wall" as its locally known has been throwing up fish for about 6-8 weeks now. nothing huge but plenty of them. a friend of mine has had a good load of 4 and 5 lb fish with a serious amount of fish in the 2/3lb bracket getting landed. a few days of heavy rainfall will wash it out but they come back in with the tide a day or 2 after it stops.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:28 pm

The reason for the lack of cod in many areas is almost certainly down to heavy exploitation by commercial fishing; there are just far fewer in the seas. Whiting still seem to be around in reasonable numbers - not a popular eating fish these days. Just as well.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:36 pm

Whiting make fine fishcakes
Cheersd
keith :D :D

carlin

Post by carlin » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:48 pm

ive been fishing walmer beach most weekends for the past couple of months and not seen, or even heard of, a single cod....just whiting, whiting whiting and a few doggies

now dont get me wrong i like my fish cakes too Rabbi but last weekend me and a couple of mates decided to go in search of cod

we drove up to orford ness and got the boat out for an overnight mission on 'the island'

unfortunately it was a case of even more whiting, probably caught 20 plus each, some of which were a pretty decent size to be fair....oh and one flattie

however on the boat back one fella (out of about 20 blokes) did produce a fairly impressive cod from his bag (looked about 15lb or so) so they are there , just not many!!!

good night though if not a little cold towards the end of our 15hr stay, lets just say we were glad to see the boat in the morning!

fishhunter
Regular
Regular

Post by fishhunter » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:48 pm

There has been a very good start to the cod season up here and cod being caught from Dunbar all the way north through the east neuk of fife right up to auchmithie among other places like arbroath...inverbervie...gourdon...the mains of usan and many more marks.
Also on another well known forum there is mention of a 23lb shore caught beauty as well as pics of a guy in shetland releasing a 21lber.
Most being caught just now seem to be in the 2-8lb bracket but lots of fish.
A few guys from cumbria met up with a guy calling himself worldchamp on said other forum and bagged up with a total haul of around 32lb in a session.
Most annoying for me is the distance i have to travel from here (300+ milesround trip) which i do as much as i can afford but gets expensive to try and catch a fish.
Bluey seems to be the top bait from what i hear as well.

theshadow

Post by theshadow » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:36 am

Mate from work had a pb of 11lb 3oz from dungie tues night and i've heard of a few more doubles from down there in the last couple of days.

DoverWHUFC

Post by DoverWHUFC » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:29 am

A mate of mine heard there is a massive school of herring in the channel which are probably keeping them offshore, that's why they are only being caught in dribs & drabs the the moment.

Probably a old of old cobblers if you ask me :D

carlin

Post by carlin » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:50 am

by the way chaps, the bloke who caught that cod was using mackerel

i was serving up some delicious squid/ lug cocktails and the odd bluey suprise, but no joy, so i'll certainly be giving the mackerel a whirl next time out!

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:02 pm

has anyone tried using WD-40 as a bait addative.....it might work =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:04 pm

oh gord here we go :)) :)) :))

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:08 pm

wd 40 i actuly saw a bloke useing it on his bait a couple of weeks ago
steve