Which Beach Shelter

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
mulletover
Occasional
Occasional

Which Beach Shelter

Post by mulletover »

Looking to buy a beach shelter before the Deal comp but not sure which one.

Looked on the net and everyone seems to recommend the John Holden Beach Buddy. No shops here seem to have one so I can look before I buy.

I've seen another one which looks like a big tripod and super quick to put up, but doesn't look like it offers as much shelter.

The John Holden one is pricey but ok if it really is worth it.
Any comments/experiences gratefully received.

On a foot note, as I was explaining to Cabrat Dave in Walton I really suffer with numb/cold hands. Too much smoking no doubt, well that's what the doctor would say since all illnesses and conditions are caused by smoking at my GPs!
Anyway, my son bought me a Zippo hand warmer. I've used the charcoal ones, what a bitch to light on the beach, the chemical ones are ok. The zippo one is brilliant. I hadn't seen them before and was fairly sceptical about it. I sparked it up last weekend and was pretty impressed. Bit of lighter fuel and it stayed very hot for six hours. If you fill it right up they claim it lasts 12 hours. This is due to the " platinum catalyzed glass fibre burner" whatever the **** one of those is.

I would recommend it for those who also suffer the numb hand syndrome, even if they don't smoke!!!

Martin

jeffro

Post by jeffro »

Hi Martin,

Whilst the Beach Buddy is a good shelter I would much rather go for and I would highly recommend the Ian Golds Igloo. It is just as easy to set up and it has a lot more space.

I have tried numurous shelters (including the beach buddy) and I would say the Igloo has got to be my favourate.

Good luck!

Jeffro

brian_woolsey

Post by brian_woolsey »

I had one of the original beach buddies & it served me well for years. from what ive seen the new versions produced by the likes of ron thompson will last you a few winters on the beach, but.............!!!

they are a real pain in the butt to carry! with the curved tops to the poles they always seem to overbalance my rod holdall.

so i got an igloo, & it hasn`t disappointed me! rolls up thin & straight, albeit a little long but no longer than my rod tips!
dead easy to put up even in a big wind, just as simple to put away. no fighting with these on the beach, lay `em down, unroll `em, stand `em up. simples.
loads of room for one fella inside, friendly if theres two of you!
loads of head room, you can see you rod tips even if they are up high & you`re close to the tri-pod.
velcro rod straps on the top for spare rods as well.
pricey, but worth every penny

not the best of pics i know. if i can find a better one, i`ll put it up.

jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jay180 »

hello brian how you been, you still fishing the carp matches.. the shelter looks quality, whats the fish in the pic, is it a cod at gravesend sea school, gonna try there this winter
jay

brian_woolsey

Post by brian_woolsey »

busted! yes it is! ;)

jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jay180 »

brian_woolsey wrote:busted! yes it is! ;)
cool :D will keep a watch on your posts so i know when to go >:) >:) ;)