dungeness

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
fisher_callum
Occasional
Occasional

dungeness

Post by fisher_callum »

hi all i plan to fish for cod this winter at dungeness for cod and was wondering what is the best bait and how early do they start coming in.

cheers :D :D :D :D :D

fisher callum

jeffro

Post by jeffro »

Cod are starting to show now in Dungeness. To be in with a chance of catching them you need to make sure that you fish when the conditions are right.
Best time to fish is after a South Westerly blow. Wait until we get a couple of strong SW winds then get down there when the wind starts veering North-West.

Baits: The Dungeness Black Lugworm are best!!! although early in the season whole squid works well.

fisher_callum
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fisher_callum »

hi jeffro do you no where i can get dungeness blacks ive seen them on the internet but there preserved or do you get them from bait shops at dungeness also where is the best place to fish along there as it will be my first time fishing
cheers

fisher_callum :D

theshadow

Post by theshadow »

Hi Callum,good luck on the Cod hunt....you wont be the only one it gets rammed down there try this link for your bait & info.http://www.seagullfishingtackle.com/ remember if the forecasts say 10-15 mile hr winds,when you get on the beach they'll be more like 25-30.

Lee

jeffro

Post by jeffro »

As Lee saids, it does get busy down there. As soon as there is a report of cod it attracts anglers like metal to magnet! I would never fish there at night during cod season as the difficult thing is the tide run at Dungeness. You need to cast up tide and it is difficult to do that when you have got anglers no more than 25ft either side of you.

I would say the most popular spot is the "Point". It is located and accessed via a barrier on the left about 500 yards past the lifeboat station. Park up opposite the barrier and walk to the beach.

The fresher the bait the better obviously and demand is strong during cod season. So order yours in advance if you can.

theshadow

Post by theshadow »

jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jay180 »

good luck, bag a biggie :D
jay