anything South East coast sea fishing related here
colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Can you re-freeze Blueys

Post by colinthefish »

Question....

Can you re-freeze Blueys?

I defrosted a vacuum pack of blueys yesterday in the fridge and having opened the pack and taken one fillet had to pack up fishing this afternoon.

If I can save the fish for another trip - I'd be very happy but I suspect I'll have to throw it like I have with the squid.

alien
Occasional
Occasional

Post by alien »

I don't know about re freezing them but you could salt preserve them.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi, I bought 2 packs of squid on saturday, they were in the fridge in the caravan, but now re frozen, also i got a pack of blueys and did the same as you. they are also in the freezer now. The way i look at it is, if its for eating dont re freeze. :D Cheers..Mick
PS, macky goes soft if re frozen, but can still be used to put in a squid body.

colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Post by colinthefish »

Thanks for the info. I've tried re-freezing squid and that didn't go well but am more hopeful with the mackey.

The tip about usin it in a squid is cracking - will try that.

The way I look at it is that if I thaw it out and it is no good, provided I've got other bait - no problem it goes in the bin as if I had thrown it away straight away. But if it can be used then its a bonus.

Bigdigger
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Bigdigger »

Gday mate. Ive found that when blueys defrost they bleed and lose a lot of the oil so i bin any defroted bait. Good quality fresh bait (sticky black lug excepted) is in my opinion essential. I know bait is expensive but going cheap could cost you a good fish. Old bait is ok mashed up & used as ground bait so not a total waste. Digger

CELOCANT

Post by CELOCANT »

As blueys (Pacific Saury) are not indigenous to our shores they have been already frozen and imported, therefore, refrozen and packed for bait in the UK. IMO to freeze them again is pushing it a bit, and they might well be too pappy to stay on the hook.