Casting... Swear I can hear the fish laughing at me!

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Casting... Swear I can hear the fish laughing at me!

Post by colinthefish »

This is going to be my first full summer beach fishing since being a teenager some 25 years ago. I got back into fishing from late last summer and even my wife has conceded that I'm more than a fair weather fisherman, after fishing in snow, rain, hail, fog or a combination of some or all of these over the last few months. But this year I need to crack the art of casting. At the moment I really struggle to get any sort of distance, concentrating on trying to cast straight at the moment.

Not go any one around to advise me so is there any good books / dvd's around or better still people out there willing to provide coaching?

I use a fixed spool (god help me with a multiplier!)

rockhoper
Regular
Regular

Post by rockhoper »

google john holden and go on is website you can download is book on casting to youre pc very easy to follow, hope this helps cheers ian

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Have a look at Neil Mackellow's stuff here: http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/
I like John Holden's stuff too - he recommends that you start with the "off the ground" technique and move on when you have mastered it.

colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Post by colinthefish »

Thanks - looks like ihave some reading to do.

diceman

Post by diceman »

I only started during last summer and found getting to grips with casting any distance really difficult (I'm still not exactly knocking them into the sun). Firstly let me say your doing the right thing concentrating on you accuracy distance will come later. Secondly depending on where and what you fish distance may not be that important bass feed close to shore (closer than you think) and some places shelf off quite quickly so you may miss the fish by casting too far out. The other guys have listed a few really good resources to look at casting technique that are well worth it. personally I found just the 'off the ground cast' easiest to learn. A big mistake I was making was trying to chuck too much weight, lighter weights are easier to get to get to grips with. Also I know it sounds obvious but match the weight to the rod an over or under weighted rod will go nowhere. The best thing you can do to help your cast is practice, get out when you can and enjoy it, smile at your good casts and laugh at your disasters there's no point in getting frustrated,

daddytim

Post by daddytim »

i have just purchase a multiplier and know a little of the bacics but havnt used one properly and when i cast it keeps bird nestiong and i get realy frusrated could anyone offer advide to me please thanks

screemin reels :D :D
TIMMY

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

daddytim wrote:i have just purchase a multiplier and know a little of the bacics but havnt used one properly and when i cast it keeps bird nestiong and i get realy frusrated could anyone offer advide to me please thanks

screemin reels :D :D
TIMMY
Yeah, get rid of it and get a decent fixed spool - you will still catch fish, you will be able to wind them in faster and you won't get any bird's nests. Before anyone else dives in, I know that multi's are supposed to give a few extra yards but in most venues it really doesn't matter.

colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Post by colinthefish »

Great advice from you all and the idea of a casting coach appeals to me as it will iron out any major errors be it with a fixed spool or multiplier fairly quickly. Does anyone know anyone around Sheerness / kent coast?

JFReturns

Post by JFReturns »

I would be interested in some lessons too!

daddytim

Post by daddytim »

thanks guys i have a fixed spool aswell on a 12ft rod i wont get rid just a few lessons thanks guys

sceermin reels :D :D
TIMMY