7lb Bass (with pic)

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
KayakDan

7lb Bass (with pic)

Post by KayakDan »

Caught this 7lb bass close to shore off a mark East of Newhaven on a Rapala lure. Gave a big fight but landed successfully then released to fight another day. My friend (thanks for the picture Nick!) had a smaller one before we were bashed with the NE wind and had to find shelter. No mackerel about (again), guess its a case of over fishing, will only get worse i think.

Image[/img]
Last edited by KayakDan on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Well done that man !!

Cracking fish - I bet it gave you a good workout :D

KayakDan

Post by KayakDan »

It certainly did, although i find the smaller bass put up more of a fight, these bigger ones tend to stick to the bottom and head bang rather than run...So in a kayak i drift over to it as i fight it!

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

Congrats on a lovely fish. Good on you for returning it.

KayakDan

Post by KayakDan »

Thanks, i return nearly all my bass unless its a new personal record and only then if its late in the fishing session. Im going to try a joey mackerel (if i can catch one - they are harder to catch then bass this year) on monday at some marks in the SE i know, i aim to catch a double figure bass before the summer is out. I had a 8.5lb fish a few weeks ago. Got to say i have only caught 2 pollack at no more than 7ozs! Where are the Pollack? When i bought the Kayak i thought Pollack would be bountiful? Are they just in the SW? Very odd.

alien
Occasional
Occasional

Post by alien »

Great pic.

4CodsSake
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by 4CodsSake »

Nice report but also whats nice is the fact you released the fish....well done

Craig

robc22
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by robc22 »

good report....great pic..... handshakes and backslaps for the release!!

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Never mind the fish what the heck you lads do in such a small craft alone out on the open water amazes me. Then to fish in such a thing tops it all.

You have my admiration Sir, any thing less than a 12ft double skined dingy with a 5hp engine on the back you can keep.

Cheers keith :D :D

Realytangled
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Realytangled »

Well done and good luck in getting a double figure bass this year, I would settle 4 one over the 3lb mark at the moment :( :D :D :(

phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by phatboy »

nice fish m8
good on u 4 releasing it
i only wish i could catch something that big, this year has been a big dissapointment for me on the bass front.
hoping to get my yak nxt week cant wait :D

KayakDan

Post by KayakDan »

rabbi2 wrote:Never mind the fish what the heck you lads do in such a small craft alone out on the open water amazes me. Then to fish in such a thing tops it all.

You have my admiration Sir, any thing less than a 12ft double skined dingy with a 5hp engine on the back you can keep.

Cheers keith :D :D
LOL! To be honest its very safe, we always wear a buoyancy aid and i usually have a waterproof VHF radio on me. I have been out in force 6 before and that was scary, the waves were 2m+ but generally anything less than a force 4 and =<slight is fine, depending on wind direction. I have capsized once and and found it easy to get back on and continue the session. It was my fault because i tried to stand up on the thing!
Im going to go night fishing in the winter, tilley lamp on a mount, anchored out 200m for cod - you know it makes sense. Nothing ventured nothing gained. The other day a seal nearly hit me not far from Dover port, they are big up close. You see some good things in the Yak. I notice the bigger bass when i play them up close to the Kayak usually have friends with them and swim right up to the Kayak and only swim off when its friend is in the landing net - another reason i like to release them to be honest; the big ones are married to partners. They dont wear rings as they havent any fingers but i know they are close.

KayakDan

Post by KayakDan »

phatboy wrote:nice fish m8
good on u 4 releasing it
i only wish i could catch something that big, this year has been a big dissapointment for me on the bass front.
hoping to get my yak nxt week cant wait :D
Phat boy, send me a PM with your email address, i will chat and tell you what i have learnt and show you some marks if you fancy?

orion

Post by orion »

well done mate, cracking fish :D

ryan

KayakDan

Post by KayakDan »

This is a pic of my 8.5lb. Caught on a Rapala lure in the SE. Unfortunately this bad boy didnt make it back (as i say i only keep PBs and if its late into the fishing session). It fed six people with plenty of left overs.

Inside the fish i found two whole large crabs and they were NOT peelers, but very hard (one was a velvet swimming crab). Lord knows how she was going to digest them, amazing. Measured 72cm.