BOAT FISHING 25/07/09

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

BOAT FISHING 25/07/09

Post by jay180 »

went out on the jemima puddleduck for a days fishing with bigdigger, big's mate, matt, jim and skipper baz. considering the recent weather the day started really good weather wise, bonus straight away even if the fish dont decide to put in an appearance... we headed out an anchored up at the 1st spot, fishing was slow and in the first hour and half only a bass showed to jim's ragworm... we up anchored and moved nearer towards the wind farms..... we had baits from rag, squid, sand eel, bluey and live peeler. i had a few rattles an landed an eel around 8oz on crab.... fishing was still going very sow then the tide started to pick up a bit... bigdigger had a series of knocks folowed by a positive take which resulted in a thornback ray (i still want my 1st).... half hour big had another ray both falling to squid..... skipper baz put on a crab taken from the gut of the bass jim caught and had a good take resulting in a 4lb 8oz smoothound. big then had a 3rd ray to squid, straight away i had squid on :D after 20mins i had a few taps on the rod, i left it for 5mins and more positive bites followed, as soon as i struck i felt a heavy weight, my 1st ray :D i was thinking. after a good scrap a huge bass surfaced, on the scales it went 8lb smashing my 2lb 12oz old p.b. not the ray i am chasing but wouldnt swap this fish for one.... squid back on bait out in the water, bite in 10mins, is this the ray? turns out to be a skinny dogfish... big hits into his 4th ray and baz his 2nd hound... a 3rd cast with the squid goes out uptide, after 15mins the rod slams round a few times. striking into it i can feel a weight on the end, a good little battle ends with a ray surfacing, my 1st ever :D on the scales it goes 2lb 8oz, 4 species 2 p.b's i had a good day now no matter what the outcome.. jim on the downtide hits his 1st ray around 4lb and matt has his 1st ray out at 4lb 8oz... the day is closing and we are into our last casts. baz's rod arches over with the clutch screaming, a good fight results in a cracking 13lb smoothound. was well happy for him and happy to have seen it.. all in all the day was slow but a fish evry half hour kept us going and hoping. :D :D
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Last edited by jay180 on Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

Nice fish.............well done

JOLI

dabhand
Regular
Regular

Post by dabhand »

fantastic report mate

great pics also

good to hear you caught your first thornie

impressive bass as well, welldone

cheers gary

feenagh

Post by feenagh »

Good report and pictures. Well done.

macer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by macer »

Sounds like you had a great day out!!

Well done on the Bass mate and of course the ray =D>

Cheers macer :D

lee361

Post by lee361 »

WELL DONE JAY ON PB BASS AND YOUR FIRST RAY.

eggman

Post by eggman »

great write up and pics m8 sounds like you had a great day :)

andymad
Regular
Regular

Post by andymad »

well done jay.
To get 2 pbs in on a days fishing is good going,cracking bass and well done on your first ray

andy

jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jay180 »

cheers thanks all, was happy with the result, the long chase for the ray since the beginning of march is over, still gonna hit the beaches hard next spring for my 1st shore ray :)

skuffa
Regular
Regular

Post by skuffa »

fantastic bass jay and congrats on that well earned ray.. :D

Abaddon

Post by Abaddon »

What a great fish. Brilliant, well done mate.

Realytangled
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Realytangled »

Now Jay not sure its fair getting 2 PBs in one trip ;) :D ;) , nice Bass well done >:D< >:D< >:D<

Peter

PootyTang
Occasional
Occasional

Post by PootyTang »

Congrats Jays , 2 pb's . Sounds like you had an excellant day out . :D :D

bobby

Post by bobby »

nice one :)