mullet in ramsgate harbour

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
biff1981

mullet in ramsgate harbour

Post by biff1981 »

walked round ramsgate harbour yesterday and wass very suprised to see plenty a big 5lb+ mullet in the shallows ,broad daylight and it was very sunny. we put lots of tennis ball sized bread balls around went and got the rods came back and caught naff all. i was using a float with bread on and was using bread on the bottom too but nothing ,also tried lunchoen meat cos we had a carp boy with us he dit have two bites off the bottom but missed both dont know if this was mullet or not .we also saw loads of eels around the lights in pontoons. any one had mullet from ramsgate if so whats the tactics used

craig123

Post by craig123 »

hiya
i no people who do mullet fishing and what they do is use a freshwater feeder rod and use bread on a size 10 freshwater hooks plus they make bread bags made outa older onionsacks and felled up with it and it break down nicely and the mullet feed around it. i ells you saw would of being garfish and what part of the harbour was they on.

craig

biff1981

Post by biff1981 »

i could see alot of mullet on the road side of the inner harbour along where the arches are that the main road runs up towards churchills pub.
also round the back of the lifeboat station.spoke to the security bloke for the harbour and he feeds them all the time in one certain space maybe you know it,there was big big mullet there and between the bridge sort of thing come lock gate that keeps the harbour flooded at low tide

what else can you get out the harbour

spratman

Post by spratman »

Hi Biff, I'm told that the French mullet champ uses extremely light gear, often using a whip type rod and typically something around 4lb line with very small freshwater hooks (18's?) To the hook line he attaches a very small sliver of cork, just enough to provide an indicator on the surface, and this is what you keeps his eyes on. Bait-wise he uses very small pellets of bread, little more than large crumbs, and just watches for the cork to dip very slightly before striking the hook home.
I've not tried it myself, but you might want to "mullet" over!

Good line, Spratman

mulletman
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mulletman »

[img Image

Mullet are extremely shy creatures and have to be approached with such care, quiet and caution. tactics vary from venue to venue, but with a harbour environment light lines, tackle etc are def the key. it really is a case of going back to light freshwater tactics. You will find that Mullet are notorious for 'snatching' at baits before taking it, making strike and catch rate very difficult but the wait is worth it when successful as they are quite a scrapper ! I have also found generally that they will feed at low water. Even if they are visible at high water they tend to not often feed, in my experience anyway.

Good luck and tigt lines.[/img]