hi, with a bit of help from those more experinced

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
anthony

hi, with a bit of help from those more experinced

Post by anthony »

hi all, been sea fishing about a year know,

eager to learn from those with experience, been reading this forum over a year now and its one the most informative going so thought i had better sign on as have lots questions.

i have caught a fish of the west arm at newhaven about 5 in the morning " its seems to be the quietest and most pleasant time to fish" i think its a wrasse not quite sure, just wanted your views

its a light greeny colour with tiny teeth at the front top of mouth like dentures, has a spiky top fin witch goes right down to the tail fin, the web sites i have tried to look at seem to show them more as a coppery colour. its about 1.and half pounds

thanks for any help.

also what type of tide do most people fish to target bass and also which areas seems to be quite and popular , what seems to be the best rig, i have been using a free running ledger.

will try some fresh shrimp/ prawns later in the season

thanks for your help

tony

Harwoody
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Harwoody »

Hey buddy, sounds like ye learning the ropes. I know what you have caught but not sure of the name, Ive caught one myself on Newhaven.
If ye not busy WEdnesday me and a few mates going fishing one East Pier if you fancy joining us, Ive been fishing about 3 years now so I know a small bit of fishing.

Bass, best place locally is either peacehaven on high tide with plugs or west beach with rotten bottoms.

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

Post by mrix »

Hi there and welcome to the forums.
From your description it does sound like a Wrasse as they do come in the copper / brown colour you mention but also a lovely green colour :)
cheers
mrix
Last edited by mrix on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glenthespinner

Post by glenthespinner »

u can get many different colours of wrass ..does it have tiger like stipes down it?

anthony

Post by anthony »

thanks for replies, its the lovely shiny green, no stripes, not sure of movements on wednesday, but thanks for the offer- school term is over and need to catch up also building new chicken coup, need to get done this week.

thanks

are there any lands marks to look for at peacehaven as you mentioned as only ever been through there once or twice

Harwoody
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Harwoody »

Bottom of Steyning avenue seems to be a hit but you cant pinpoint fishing anymore.

If ye free or wanna chat as you live in the same area - add me, eaglestrike951@hotmail.co.uk. I could do with a fishing buddy haha

jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jay180 »

hello mate, i have found wrasse like other species cod/pollock etc... can take on the colour of the sea bed they are resident around... i have caught wrasse and codling off dover ad pier which look chalky white in colour..
jay

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Believe it or not cod can take on colour of kelp in scotland as they live amongst it. And red feathers work better than white in the red kelp beds.
Cheers keith :D

folky
Occasional
Occasional

Post by folky »

you can get red cod down at samphire hoe in the summer if your really lucky.

glenthespinner

Post by glenthespinner »

wtf !!! red cod lol !!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Perfectly true, not a wind up, they take on the colour of their surroundings.
Same thing I have found with doggies. Those caught from sandy area's seem to be lighter colour than those caught from rocky outcrops.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Cheers keith :D :D