eels

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
maggot

eels

Post by maggot »

fishing local marks, thanet, lots of eels about, suicidle good sizes, any one else catching them?

PiscatorialPeter

Post by PiscatorialPeter »

Hi, Do you target the eels? Which bait do you use and techniques please. petergander.blogspot.com

theshadow

Post by theshadow »

I had 1 the other day not massive but the first i've had out,took a small piece of crab on the bottom hook of a 2 hook flapper.

Lee

squiresoak

Post by squiresoak »

PiscatorialPeter wrote:Hi, Do you target the eels? Which bait do you use and techniques please. petergander.blogspot.com
If the eels are around they will take any bait. I find holding them in a newspaper whilst unhooking helps to stop them sliming up your rig and arm.

squiresoak

emenwhu

Post by emenwhu »

A little tip that may be of help. If you get the eel on its back, hold the eel in the middle with both hands (side by side) and whilst being firm pull your hands apart (one towards the tail the other towards its head) the eel goes into a trance and is easier to de-hook. Would not of believed it had i not seen it with my own eyes!
I was also advised that they need to be kept alive, right upto the point where you're going to prepare them for the freezer as they carry toxins that get into the flesh if they die before gutting. Would be greatful for any confirmation or advice.

Cheers all, Mark............

PiscatorialPeter

Post by PiscatorialPeter »

Thanks Squiresoak and emenwhu, that's appreciated.

Skate88

Post by Skate88 »

emenwhu wrote:A little tip that may be of help. If you get the eel on its back, hold the eel in the middle with both hands (side by side) and whilst being firm pull your hands apart (one towards the tail the other towards its head) the eel goes into a trance and is easier to de-hook. Would not of believed it had i not seen it with my own eyes!
I was also advised that they need to be kept alive, right upto the point where you're going to prepare them for the freezer as they carry toxins that get into the flesh if they die before gutting. Would be greatful for any confirmation or advice.

Cheers all, Mark............
Have seen it done on the TV programmes before. Strange how it works. :-/

Me and a mate went to laser quay for a few hours Tuesday evening, expected to get a few small pouting or something, just took a couple of score of lug. Missed a few very good bites, and connected with three, all eels. :)
A nightmare to unhook, but a good scrap on light gear, and made a change as I haven't caught one for a couple of years. Was a small tide, 4.8m I think, probably why we had them, normally tend to get them at low water, and we was there a bit before high tide. Not another angler to be seen now the Codling have gone. ;)

Bigdigger
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Bigdigger »

Gday m8. A few odd eels coming in from the front beaches on Sheppey & Queenborough creek, on worm & crab. Im going tomorrow night & most of next week so will post report if i have any luck. Cheers 4 now. Clive :D .