LINE ADVICE

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
squidhead
Regular
Regular

LINE ADVICE

Post by squidhead »

Am using 15lb line with 60lb shock leader ok. Today at Withernsea had line snap twice, was using 5 oz weight. Is line to thin and should i move up to thicker and heavier line. Lost line , shock, weights and rigs. Any help and advice would be helpfull.
As for the fishiing,, had 1 small rocking. weather was misty at times till sun came out. And first time fishing on beach.

hogwart
Occasional
Occasional

Post by hogwart »

hullo mate cant see anything wrong with your setup i am no expert how old is your line and shockleader as they do deteriate with use and age

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

As already stated is the line old and have you enough shockleader on? ie the length of the rod plus 6 turns around the spool.

Is it red ice line as there have been a few complaints about a bad batch that found its way to the shelves.

Apart from that I don't know what to suggest as your setup seems perfect.
Cheers keith :D :D :D

squidhead
Regular
Regular

Post by squidhead »

Line and shockleader only changed last week, after 7 hr stint at Bridlington.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

The only thing that springs to mind is that you could possibly have a cracked ring on your rod. It only needs to be a hairline crack for it to snap your line.

Check all the rings very carefully starting from the top as this is the ring that takes most punishment.
Cheers keith :D :D

squidhead
Regular
Regular

Post by squidhead »

Thanks Keith. will do a check on rods and rings in morning.

h4ppy-chris

Post by h4ppy-chris »

the only way you will have a crack off is,
not casting smooth

bassman2

Post by bassman2 »

what sized weight are you casting for a fifteen pound line shockleader or not the weight should be three and a half ounces i would suggest if you are using anything heavier you should change your line to 25lb especially with a 60lb shock leader
hope this helps happy fishing
bassman2 :) :) :)

davethecod
Occasional
Occasional

Post by davethecod »

do you fish deep shingle beaches if so a lot of people make the big mistake of using too light a line,i tend to stick with 18lb daiwa tournament in my eyes the best on the market,if you look at the low water line you will see that the beach drops off to deep water as the tide comes in you back up the beach as you are reeling in your line is rubbing along the shingle ridge when you are fishing high tide your line is over the low water ridge as the shingle is moving in the tide your line is being dragged and scraped through that shingle that is why i stick to 18lb mainline and 70-80 lb shockleader THE COD

mulletover
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mulletover »

Had that problem with 15lb Berkely Whiplash Pro, bit gutted as it was expensive. Was using 15-70 tapered leaders but broke a few times reeling in!
Had a break off too, think the advice about abrasion on the line from shingle beaches could be right. Gone onto 20lb Whiplash Crystal and no problems. and had a spool of 20lb Firewire on my spare spool which has never let me down.
Once a line breaks casting, assuming knots and set up are ok I get rid of it straight away as embedding 5oz of lead in someone is a bit of a scary thought!

SniperOne

Post by SniperOne »

A 15lb mono and 60lb leader is fine for the beaches that you fish.

I use the same set up for fishing, Hornsea, Dimmo, Easington, Spurn, Tunstall, Hilston etc etc.

Although I have binned the Red/Black Ice as found this far too soft and gone back to Daiwa Tournament 15lb .35mm and Daiwa Sensor 15lb .37mm with a 60lb Greased Weasel leader.

hythespirit

Post by hythespirit »

i use 20lb red ice with 60 shock,
we have had problems with the knots on red ice when tying it make sure it does not pull up dry plenty of saliva or the friction will cause a snap.

after the retie it's been ok
Keith

glen1993

Post by glen1993 »

hi mate.its probally that you have your line wrapped around the end eye so check every time u cast

conni

Post by conni »

make sure you've got a good few turns of shock leader on your reel before casting,do not do what tropical bri does 15lb line 8oz wieght and no shock leader then wonders why he gets so many crack offs.

davethecod
Occasional
Occasional

Post by davethecod »

ANOTHER RULE I STICK TO IS IF FOR SOME REASON I HAVE AN OVERUN AND IT KNOTS UP ON THE REEL I CHANGE THE LINE AS OVER THE YEARS I HAVE CRACKED OFF AS IT LEAVES A WEAK SPOT ON THE LINE I NOW GO TO THE BEACH WITH 5 MAG ELITES IN MY BOX JUST IN CASE ,ALSO LOOK AT WHEN YOU ARE REELING IN KEEP A CONSTANT PRESSURE ON THE LINE AS IF IT GOES ON TIGHT THEN LOOSE IT WILL COME OFF THE REEL THE SAME AND WILL CAUSE AN OVERUN THANKS THE COD