macky on folkestone pier

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
folky
Occasional
Occasional

macky on folkestone pier

Post by folky »

pretty much says it all, the mackrel are starting to show now.. also heard they are showing on the addy to.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Well done mate keep us posted, hopefully they will show in large numbers soon and then we will have bait to fill our freezers again.
Cheers keith :D :D

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

nice one rabbi thats all mackeral are BAIT even my 5 year old says he dont wanna go maccy bashing anymore as its boring lol

chrisandboys
Occasional
Occasional

Post by chrisandboys »

Unfortunately mackeral time isn't all good - look at this report from Brighton Marina - usually a cracking place to fish.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/marina20 ... ?msg=277.1

blueshields

Post by blueshields »

X( i am sorry but to say that mackerel is only good for bait is completely disrespectfull to what is a beautiful species of fish. i and many sea anglers served our apprenticeships catching these powerfull and crazy fish. fishing for these on light tackle and float is great sport and they will fight as hard as any other fish in our waters!! anyway, sorry about the rant. ;)

ciderfisher

Post by ciderfisher »

It makes a nice change to get amonst them with a string of feathers....A world apart from the lob it and leave it tactics we use the rest of the year.

B-)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Hi dont get me wrong. Mackerel are reputed to be the fish containing the highest protein that you can find in our sea and of course they are great to eat wrapped in foil and baked.

My comments were made purely from the fact that it was a poor mackerel season last year and so up here in the northwest we had a shortage of bait when targeting the bigger stuff.
Cheers
keith :D :D :D

stroodsue
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by stroodsue »

i dont think it was your post keith .. i think it was hamy's comment!

i LOVE mackeral.. cooked in a pan of sea water right there on the beach where you have just caught it is the tastiest way ever! yummy yummy

Sue

Skate88

Post by Skate88 »

I agree, great eating fish. Haven't had a go with the feathers for years, but think were going back down to Pembrokeshire again this August. Definitely be having a few casts from the rocks.
Off the feathers, onto the barbeque. :D

blueshields

Post by blueshields »

it wasn't your comment rabbi. just thought i would stick up for the little rascals. :D

Pollox

Post by Pollox »

blueshields wrote:X( i am sorry but to say that mackerel is only good for bait is completely disrespectfull to what is a beautiful species of fish. i and many sea anglers served our apprenticeships catching these powerfull and crazy fish. fishing for these on light tackle and float is great sport and they will fight as hard as any other fish in our waters!! anyway, sorry about the rant. ;)
I agree, totally. Not only are they great sport on light tackle, they are also one of the best eating fish.

Please remember though that if you catch one it is doomed. It will not live more than a few hours once returned to the water. So take only what you need then stop fishing for them

ciderfisher

Post by ciderfisher »

Concerning the previous post.

Any one know why they would only live a few hours after being caught? :-/

I've always returned the undersized mackeral and haven't heard that they die soon afterwards before. :((

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix »

Please remember though that if you catch one it is doomed. It will not live more than a few hours once returned to the water
Cant say I have ever read that anywhwere and would be suprised if its true.
Is there any facts on the net to back this up :-/

cheers
mrix

ciderfisher

Post by ciderfisher »

I had a quick search on the net and came up with information as to why mackerel die after being caught. See link below:

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Articles/Releasing_Mackerel.html

The long and short of it is, the heat and oils in our hands damage their skin. Which in turn causes them to die 3 - 48 hours afterwards. :((

My Recommendations Are:

1. That we either stop catching them once we have enough and then go for the Bass which won't be far from the shoul. Whilest keeping all the undersized ones.

2. Use gloves whilest unhooking them.

3. Or I suppose use barbless hooks and gloves.

;)

Geggy_poos
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Geggy_poos »

Interesting Post ;) Can't wait to get out after the Mackerel!

greg