8th Attempt Sheepey Rays

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

8th Attempt Sheepey Rays

Post by jay180 »

Had my 8th attempt at sheppey rays and drew yet another blank, was starting to dishearten myself the other week but when i sit an think about i have only seen 1 caught in all these sessions an heard of 2/3 others on days im there, so jay, dont knock yourself to much...... got there 0510 an met jeffro at warden bay, wind was blowing a hoolie head onto the beach, fancy it no, warm bed, blonde misses why did i get up :-S anyway, had my 3 rods pre set up so was straight out in the water, sand eel, bluey an herring, around an hour before high the weed was becoming a problem, lost 2 rigs, 1 due to the weed grating my line on the groyne and the other from shells amonst the weed rubbing on my line, joys of 15lb line but if i want the extra yards its worth the risk..... the session ended up fish less an bite less for an 8th time but was easier to take as i went with the attitude of not catching but enjoying (EVEN THO I WAS UP AT 4AM :(( ) stayed until the tide was un fishable an just had a laugh with me boy looking for crabs an wading in the sea..... back out next week in the comp, will i get my 1st ray then,??? what a day to do it that would be... :D :D
jay

mulletover
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mulletover »

Well done for having a go, I tried for rays last two years and blank after blank seems inevitable, I never managed one, but they are there, just knowing when!!

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

who's team are you on mr blankety blank!!! :D

merris999
Occasional
Occasional

Post by merris999 »

Hi Jay, was going there on thursday but one of the party went on tuesday/ wednesday, they had netted and then after tide went out they had left all the carcases there and am told that they are severly put off by there own carrion :( bloody commercails i know they have to maek a living but that is just shooting themselves in the foot aswell as mucking it up for us shore and boat anglers !!! X( X( X( X(
a couple of more weeks and i am reliabley informed they will move to netting sandwich and minis so the island so get back to normal, hopefully they wont net on sunday :-S

gazza12

Post by gazza12 »

with all your determination to get one it WIIL haappen :D keep smiling it will be worth it in the end :)

Bigdigger
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Bigdigger »

Every dog has his day M8 yours is yet to come :D

jeffro

Post by jeffro »

Good things come to those who wait!

It will happen mate!!

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

if you blank at the comp i will take you out on my boat for a guarenteed ray

jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jay180 »

kopitecol wrote:who's team are you on mr blankety blank!!! :D
unfortunatly col, YOURS, ha ha... wont be ray fishing tho, i be after flats, eel an bass so hopefully i will contribute to the thames estruary tally :D

jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jay180 »

where do you fish for them hammyloz? make you right merris about the commercials, its been at the back of my mind for most sessions.... X(

backlash

Post by backlash »

Hi, have had 10 this year all on sheppey, had 4 at Eastchurch Gap biggest 9lb 14, 5 at the slope at Warden Bay biggest 6,6 and 1 at the green at Leysdown last night. All on 2/0 pulley and fillets of bluey except last night which was a small maid of a couple of pound, which took crab on a 2/0 dropper rig. Thing is apart from 2 single fish the others were both 4 a session, so there have been a lot of blanks in between. But its been strange this year, perfect conditions and blank, easterly winds and you catch, usually its not worth fishing after high water over here, yet this year we have had them right through the tide. So not got a clue what to advise except to keep trying.

jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jay180 »

cheers backlash, a lot of peeps have noticed this to? still hope yet :D

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

jay180 wrote:where do you fish for them hammyloz? X(
out of newhaven near brighton

jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jay180 »

got to happen soon, set 3 targets, thornback, smoothound an sting ray, will be happy 2 of them :)