is it worth fishing at low tide??

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
gregz-1982

is it worth fishing at low tide??

Post by gregz-1982 »

I work split shifts and dont get much chance to fish the tides properley all i ever seem to get is when the tides out or on it way out.
as ive never actually been fishing in the sea can anyone throw a few tips my way as i want to go tonight but its low tide by the time ill get chance to go.

funkel

Post by funkel »

Alright mate,the thing is you never know somtimes a low slack tide can be a good time to fish and some marks fish better on the ebb or at low water.As with you i don'nt always have my pick of the tides and will go anyway just to go fishing.I've had codling this year at low water at marks traditionally not thought to fish well at those times.I think local knowledge is key to answering your question so i'd advise if you could talk to other local anglers and try to find out where fishes well at these times as it can all depend on the venue.

Hope this helps

Funkel

gregz-1982

Post by gregz-1982 »

ok cheers mate i live in margate so i will most likely go off the harbour but i enjoy going to reculver when i get chance.
ill let you know if i get anything anyway.
thanks again.

funkel

Post by funkel »

No problem mate,the thing is to go and not to expect much and then if you do pull a few in its a bonus!!!!

Cheers
Funkel

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

In my experience dropping a bait into a deep hole at low water can get quite exciting because some fish will hang around those spots waiting for the water to rise again. Of course, you do have to know where deep holes are and a glance at an Admiralty Chart can help a lot.
Example: I used to live at Exmouth in Devon and found that there was a deep hole at the bottom of the Exe estuary just outside the harbour entrance. I took quite a number of decent bass from that hole at low water because they would come down the estuary and hang around there until the rising tide got going again.

Bigdigger
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Bigdigger »

Gday Gregz. Try Minnis its near you.You can walk out on the chalk ledge good firm ground. Weve fished it a couple of times recently not had anything ourselves but have seen rays & dogs caught. We walk out from the concrete swimming pool & fish 2 hours down & 2 up. We wade out & cast as far as you can. Might be worth a try m8. Cheers 4 now & tight lines. Clive

kingfisher14
Regular
Regular

Post by kingfisher14 »

dungeness point is a good lowtide mark always deep water. its a bit early for the spring rung but when i have fished there i have had most of my codling and cod at lowtide, my biggest cod which was 7lb was caught at lowtide. Because at lowtide at dungeness point you can get closer to the drop offs the first one is 80yds from lowtide mark and second one is 140yds out from the lowtide mark and on the second one its about 80ft deep but even at the first one its deeper than fishing the high tide, want anymore info just pm me.

gregz-1982

Post by gregz-1982 »

thanks again to everyone who posted on here i went last night and caught sod all.
ill be going out again in a few weeks now so might give a few new places a try.
all advice is much appreciated and does help me alot.
cheers