Seal or No Deal??

anything South East coast sea fishing related here
oiwoodsy

Seal or No Deal??

Post by oiwoodsy »

Fished (not!) at the south end of Deal beach today, (Marine Parade) merrily loading bait and casting away for 2 hours with absolutely nothing except cold pinkies....... bloke walks past me, I'm the only one there, and say's that I won't catch anything with the company I've got with me..., looks around for invisible angling companions, can't see my suspicious invisible chums, until bloke points out a bloody great seal poking his head up about 50 yards away....!!!!!! :(( :(( :-O

I gave up straight away and went for a chat with friendly bloke (Dean?) in Pleasure angling for a while, who gave me loads of advice as I'm a 51 year old who's only been sea fishing for 6 months, and I find yet again that the vast majority of sea anglers will give you shed loads of advice and be really nice about it.

However, he was explaining all about availability of worms etc, ( I go out and dig my own whenever possible, tides permitting, it's not too hard and practice make perfect, or points or worms or something...) and he tells me about these ignorant people from up North who had come in yesterday demanding worms and getting aggressive when there were none to be had.... don't people realise that cold weather means that wormy willie and his mates get down deep aka, putting an exta coat on to keep warm in't burrow............and all the local diggers have time off to do Christmasy and New Year things.

Can,t Sea Angling Magazine or someone do an article about the availability of worm in the cold weather etc, and the fact that willie worm and his sidekicks are not the only form of bait that ffed fish will munch on!!

Rant over...Happy New Year and Lineus-Titeum 2009 :D

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

Why did you pack up after seeing the seal after year of fishing from boats and shore i have never left the area with a seal in it as they only turn up where theres fish, when i lived in bridlington a couple of years ago i would head out to where the seals were especially around august and september for the mackeral run it was the easiest way to find them

Dave :D

stroodsue
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by stroodsue »

haha unlucky but i do think i would have kept fishing!! get the buggars to MY bait n not to his mouth ! :>
better luck next time! yes he a good lad in Pleasure angling!!

Sue

SHAWN

Post by SHAWN »

I Fished along Deal sea front yesterday, lots of dabs and whiting, there are always Seals going along the beaches, the only thing i find that ruins the fishing there is fishing clear water in the day.

oiwoodsy

Post by oiwoodsy »

Thanks for that info guys, maybe I'll change my mind next time I see one, did'nt help the fact that I'd not had a nibble in the two hours beforehand, but, as I said, I got lots of tips from friendly people and am now going to try some different approaches to the way I bait up and cast....cheers >:D<

andiroo
Occasional
Occasional

Post by andiroo »

I have only once seen a seal in the wild (while i was fishing)

I did pack my gear away but hung round to watch cos i think they are brillient animals!!!

Andi

spratman

Post by spratman »

Try loading some 80lb line on, and go for the seal.
Once you manage to reel him in, belt him over the noddle like the Eskimo's do, and then flog the pelt. There are plenty of seal-blubber recipes on www.inuit-grub.com but my all time fave is smoked blubber. Yum-Yum. Anyone interested in setting up seal-fishing.com? >:)

steveseagull
Occasional
Occasional

Post by steveseagull »

I prefer to do my Clubbing in the local discoteque.

fatbloke

Post by fatbloke »

SPRATMAN some people might take offence at that..........put not me :P
best thing i read in ages......god my ribs hurt now :D by the way the little blubbery critters were also at sandwich bay same day and we caught nothing but small whiting,dabs etc cheers