First Thin Lip Of The Season

Please feel free to add your Sea Fly Fishing, SWFFing related posts here.
MulletFly
Advanced User
Advanced User

First Thin Lip Of The Season

Post by MulletFly » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:21 pm

An early morning session started on a frustrating note. The mark I was fishing features a deep gulley with a very fast flow of water on a spring ebb. I have observed some very large bass and mullet here in the past and designed a weighted fly to combat the current and get down to the fish. The first hour was fruitless but within ten minutes of the tide turning, the line came to life in my hand. The fish immediately engaged in a series of short, incredibly fast and powerful runs. I knew that this was no mullet! A period of violent head shaking followed, before the fish recommenced its brutal, short bursts. The fish then dropped down into the gulley and simply sat in the current. Considerable strain was required to raise the fish, which gave one more powerful run before the fly pulled free. Both flies were covered in thick, stringy weed. It would appear that the fish went head long into a bank of weed to make its escape.
Before depression got the better of me, I spied the first (and only) mullet shoal of the morning. Fins and tails danced in unison, swirling in the shallows at the mouth of the gulley. First cast saw a mullet slash at the fly and I struck to feel momentary resistance before a diawl bach headed my way at high speed. The resulting tangle took a few minutes to rectify, during which time the ghosts melted away.
The tide flooded with purpose but no fish came with it.
A nearby marina represented my last chance saloon and I was pleased to see a group of mullet feeding intently amongst a group of yachts perched on a mud bank. The fish were feeding on the very edge of the flood, darting and flashing through the shallows in pursuit of shrimp. Frustration turned to elation on the very first cast as a mullet claimed the dropper fly. Mullet normally take a few seconds to realize their predicament and this affords opportunity to guide the fish away from boats, ropes and anchors before they waken up. Playing a ridiculously powerful fish in a confined and snag ridden environment certainly gets the heart beating! Following 5 minutes of absorbing battle, a sparkling thin lip of 2.5lb nestled in the net.

lurcherman
Regular
Regular

mullet

Post by lurcherman » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:32 pm

nice fish colin and great report.

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:41 pm

nice fish colin,saw a fair few swimming by whale island saturday,shame i didnt have the rod with me.