pagham report

Please feel free to add your Sea Fly Fishing, SWFFing related posts here.
nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

pagham report

Post by nthendpompey » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:33 pm

arrived at 6am to be greeted with mullet everywhere.tried single fly as usual,then two flies,then three flies.drifted the flies into the shoals of feeding mullet,landed on top of them.would they take a fly,like heck would they.frustrating isnt the word.we moved along casting as we went.suddenly the line went tight ,thoughts of 2nd mullet of the year on the fly.how wrong ,plump bass of around the pound and a half had taken the dahl bach fly.

packed in at 11.,very frustrated.

another venue tomorrow.

mick

edwin

Post by edwin » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:20 pm

Started Sea Flyfishing some 12 years ago now and really toured until I settled around the clear waters of Pagham Eastwards (Poole/ChristchurchDevon Coast being the most productive)
I've tried just about every method I thought SHOULD work whilst Wading amongst enormous shoals of Mullet--very little tempted them. However watching productive course 'Style' Mullet Fishers in Poole saw a change of tactics. They placed a Mini spoon/spinner two/four inches from a red tussled single hook baited with Red Rag. I tied a copy of this 'Tackle'(Without the Rag) and like them fished it fast retrieve 6"---36" deep and it has worked very well many times since.

Dorsetfly

Post by Dorsetfly » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:40 pm

Interesting Edwin. Have you ever fly fished the bar at Mudeford sandbank for Bass / mullet. Just bought myself a little boat after years without one and keen to give sea fly fishing a go as a change from rainbow fishing. Fished out of Mudeford for bottom fish for years with various small boats but the fishing generally in this area has gone downhill since.