Kayak fishing in or around the solent area ?

Please feel free to add your Kayak fishing related posts here.
flyfisher

Kayak fishing in or around the solent area ?

Post by flyfisher » Sun May 04, 2008 11:40 am

was wondering if anyone goes kayak fishing in or around the solent, i have just purchased one and am looking for local places to go to get some experience on it. was thinking about going up the hamble spinning and fly fishing for bass and mullet.

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by MadKev » Sat May 10, 2008 9:24 am

Dunno how to contact them, but I've seen a couple of guys who launch from Shore Road, Hythe, in expensive inflatable kayaks at high water. Park on the gravel, inflate, lug across the road and straight in to the 'oggin. Brightly-coloured, if you see them on the water nip round to the car park and leave a note on their van window or wait for them to come in again.

One I chatted to used two 7' rods in holders, had a fish finder and all the safety gear, said it had revolutionised his angling from beachcasting but the weather had to be 'just so'.

bassfly
Advanced User
Advanced User

hayling

Post by bassfly » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:10 pm

We trek off of Hayling Island and into Langstone/Chichester harbour.Tidal flow can be a nightmare.We have made up some little pop up sails to go downwind that just roll up and bungee out of the way,you really motor with these beauties.

budgie

Post by budgie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:40 pm

Hi I'm new to Kayak fishing myself and have been looking for areas to fish around the solent. So far i have fished Lepe and Calshot with not much luck (1 small Bass from Lepe).
Lepe and Calshot are easy to launch from but tides do rip along there, it can be great fun paddling against the tide and wind (not).
#:-S

mford

Post by mford » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:45 am

Hi.
If you paddle up the hamble to the Botley/curdridge split then bear right the mullet seem plentiful there. And not much current nice relaxing float fishing. You can also launch from the horse and jockey pub the landlord has even built a pontoon for kayakers and its free. All he asks is that you buy a pint now and then. A good deal i think on a nice sunny day.
Cheers mark.

mford

Post by mford » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:04 pm

Forgot to say flyfisher if you launch from burlesdon and paddle up the hamble BEWARE of the strong current under the railway bridge it will pull you towards the uprights best to time it when no boats coming towards you so you can steer claer of them..prevention is better than cure i always say.
cheers mark..