Tidal Flow West side of Selsey ? - kayak Fishing

Please feel free to add your Kayak fishing related posts here.
Starvinmarvin

Tidal Flow West side of Selsey ? - kayak Fishing

Post by Starvinmarvin »

Fished off Bracklesham recently at anchor in my kayak and watched a couple of boats head between the slipway at Bracklesham and Selsey Bill not far off shore. I understand that the tides around Selsey are a no go area for me in the yak, so what is it like on the West side of Selsey... am I going to get into trouble with the rips.

I'm hoping to target some smuts if there are any still about, or Tope having fished and caught from Wales earlier in the year and keen to catch again.

SM :)

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix »

kayak Fishing :? interesting stuff :wink: I am thinking what tactics you use line / rigs etc :?: any pics at all :?:
Cheers
mrix

Starvinmarvin

Post by Starvinmarvin »

Tactics wise mostly very simple running ledger, light weights covering as much ground as possible, tend to anchored now, use to fish a lot on the drift, but more success at anchor. Rod wise 12lb class for the Tope with a SL20SH loaded with 15-17lb line, if I'm making a day of it, I can carry 5 rods on my setup, all rigged, obviously not all used at the same time though. Generally I only carry a pair, one as above, the other with a sensitive tip, fished light with smaller baits.

All rods are terminated with a Gemini clip, all end tackle can then be clipped on as and when required, making for quick easy changes. When paddling I only have a couple of lines in the water, all other end tackle is removed and placed in a tackle bag out of the way.

You have to be organised, and tidy otherwise you can get in a hell of a mess.

Safety wise, I probably carry more safety gear than most boat fishermen, the family always know where I am and when I should return.

Loads of pics on my website, I'll try and start posting some here.

mrix

re:

Post by mrix »

kayaking must be fun in its self but actually fishing as well :D cant be bad :wink: I`ll take a look at your website now!
http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/

cheers for the info
mrix

mrix

re:

Post by mrix »

I must say I have had a look at your website and am impressed I didnt realise there was so much in Kayak fishing, my first impression of Kayak fishing was something else to be honest :) , but these kayaks that you use are the business! :wink: all the kit you have as well from the rods to the depth finders :wink: , the Kayaks are also bigger than I imagined.
I recommend anyone reading this post to check out Starvinmarvin Kayak website as it got loads of information that most sea fisherman would find interesting http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/
Cheers
mrix

Starvinmarvin

Post by Starvinmarvin »

Thanks for your kind words mrix glad you liked the site. The SWFF guys have just started to catch on to the abilities of the kayak, so I expect there will be a lot more of them around the Dorset and Welsh Coast lines soon.

As for gadgets, well SpeciMan who occasionally shows his face here is fitting a Minn-Kota to his and a bait tank which I belive he has finished tweaking.

Fish wise, you can target anything in UK waters, Beagles and Blue Sharks are being talked about for next year... not sure whether I will be going on that trip yet. The yanks catching 100lb plus Threshers so why not... I still need convincing. :lol:

Speciman

Post by Speciman »

Nicely put Starvin.

Mrix you've hit the nail on the head - kayaking is fun even without the fishing. I've yet to blank but if I did its still a great day out on the water. You don't necessarily have to go out that far - sometimes just out of casting range from the shore can put you into fish - Poole Bay area is a good example of this.

There's an obvious risk aspect to it; alot can wrong if you're not careful so you have to approach the sport from a strict safety angle. Hence Starvins post here - like a lot of us he's trying new waters and is finding out as much info as possible before paddling that area. Like Starvin I'm also aiming to head out this week. I'm keeping an eye on the weather... bit blowly at the moment although tomorrow is looking good.

As Starvin mentions I'm putting a Minn Kota trolling motor onto my yak. It won't always be taken out - depends on where I fish. Also have a live bait tank to hold blennies, joey mackeral etc for the bass and chart plotter/finder on the way soon. You don't need loads of gadgets and newcomers should concentrate on getting their safety gear together first. I had my kayak for a quite a while before I went out on the water as I still had clothing and safety bits I needed to get.

Tackle wise, light is right and gives a fair fight. I'm sure there will be another Wales tope meet next year - for that I may step up my gear as there is a chance of Porbeagle in that area.Good luck with the Selsey trip Starvin.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Hey Starvin, just been looking at yer piccies - WOW!. can your boat take two guys then? I am finally moving to Hayling on October 4th and already have a lifejacket and 6' boat rod with multiplier. Now need to ask meself if I should get one of they kayaks - didn't realise they were that big - what would a decent s/h job cost me or should I come with you to learn the ropes? BTW plenty of room at my new house to store a boat like that - big garage/ workshop and 45 yd back garden. Can one fix a small outboard on 'just in case'?, are they 'unsinkable'? Will shut up now and have another look at yer webby. :D

Starvinmarvin

Post by Starvinmarvin »

So many questions so little time, brand new an Ocean Kayak model will cost between £349 and £499, some such as the Prowler come with a free seat some don't. There are single, two and three seat versions available so something for everyone.

Sink, possibly but you would have to put a big hole in it, I have foam swimming noodles inside my hull just in case, the new Scupper Pro TW model has fitted extra bouyancy which is required by French Law and is being built for the European market.

Once your settled give me a shout and I'll bring them both down and we can go for a paddle and maybe catch a fish or two.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Gee Starvin, Sounds great and thanks for the offer will let you know soon. Soz bout all the questions - more - do you have a fish finder on board? and do you realise that although I am up for it, I am now 61 although still reasonably fit and ready for anything? In other words I do not yet consider myself to be an old fogie but my kids have a slightly different view because I consider their fashions and music to be naff. :wink:

Starvinmarvin

Post by Starvinmarvin »

61 thank god for that thought you were going to say you were old. Fishfinder, yep one on each kayak, you can see the kayaks on the AnglersAfloat website there is a photo on Hayling Island Sea Front.

Looking forward to it.

Louie

Post by Louie »

Just checked out the kayak site! If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it! Wish I lived closer to the sea!!

Louie

salty

Post by salty »

if anyone in the pompey area's interested, i'm having a clearout in my garage soon. theres a big double coleman kayak up for grabs. i only wants £120 for it. buyer collects. if anyone wants to come and have a gander, let me know. :D

Starvinmarvin

Post by Starvinmarvin »

Salty If I had the room I'd be very tempted.

salty

Post by salty »

Starvinmarvin wrote:Salty If I had the room I'd be very tempted.

rooms not a problem, you can double it up as a bed, :lol: :D