fish finder?

Please feel free to add your Kayak fishing related posts here.
kayakfishing

fish finder?

Post by kayakfishing »

do i need to buy a fish finder made for kayaking or can i just buy any fish finder? cheers

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

The ideal fishfinder for your needs would be the Plastimo Ecofish 300 as its a handheld finder so there is no need for any drilling and they are cheap compared to other fishfinders. Check it out on google. The answer to your question is yes any fishfinder will do.
Cheers
keith :D :D

kayakfishing

Post by kayakfishing »

thanks very much, i can see this being an expensive hobby :P

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Yakdiver
Regular
Regular

Post by Yakdiver »

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

Or a cheaper alternative is to rely on watercraft and sheer instinct. Works every time.

Yakdiver
Regular
Regular

Post by Yakdiver »

kayakfishing

Post by kayakfishing »

yeah, the eagle cuda looks great. i would love to rely on pure instinct but in emsworth, there's not a great amount of fish so finding them with a little electronic buddy is much easier :P

kayak07

Post by kayak07 »

there are lots out there on the market 2 ive used are the garmin 140 b/w screen and also the garmin 160c colour screen both do the job well,they are both cracking units but need to be fixed to the yak.

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy »

wen i had my boat and launching of the beach i could not fix to the bottom so i fixed it to the inside on the bottom in a plastic box filled with cooking oil as you dont get air bubbles in oil and if your transduser is close to the surface you get air bubbles and they give you a false reading

kayak07

Post by kayak07 »

before you buy your ff be sure to tell them what yak it is and for a bit extra they will supply the transducer to fit in the scupper designed to take it :) hi royboy ive never heard that one before :) :)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Any plastic tube fibeglassed to the bottom of the boat and filled with oil will do the trick, although it diminishes the sensitivity of the transducer very slightly, as for cooking oil I wouldn't recommend it as it tends to solidify at low temps but any light machine oil is what I used.
Cheers
keith :D :D

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat »

The best method for signal strength, is bond the transducer directly to the inside of the hull after smoothing both hull and transducer face with sandpaper. Apply a good blob of sea water proof adhesive/sealant. I use sikaflex. The important bit is to apply a smooth consistant flow of adhesive to ensure there are no air bubbles trapped. Slide the face of the transducer in to the ahesive to ensure you don't trap any air gaps and secure in position until the adhesive sets. The benefit of this solution is multi fold. First you have no problems with tubes or boxes of oil sloshing round. You lose less signal strength from the transducer as the signal is directed directly to the sea without negotiating the oil which absorbs some of the signal. If you use sikaflex, you can, if you wish to do so at a later date, carefuly peel the adehisive away from the hull without damage to either hull or transducer. I've used this method in eight boats now without any problem.