Southend on Sea

Please feel free to add your Kayak fishing related posts here.
MickMull

Southend on Sea

Post by MickMull » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:47 pm

Well I new I had a day off today & had an eye on the forcast which was looking bloody good, so planned a trip out this morning :D.
Got in from work last night to find Mrs M winging about a bad back. I had to stay on her good side as she needed to take the 2 youngest to school the next morning if I was to stand any chance of a dangle. :-/ :-/
Anyway was up with the lark and her back was a bit better, "are you sure you're OK love?" Yes, thank goodness for that I thought. So loaded up the yak & headed to my usual launch site, paddled out past the end of Southend Pier & really noticed my lack of fitness following my winter hibernation. :P :P
Put 2 rods out, one the usual, flowing trace big lump of squid. The other was something a I aint done before, set of feathers with mackerel strip attached. The squid rod caught nothing at all (apart from loads of crabs), the other rod was continually getting bites of which I bought in loads of small whiting & a couple of dabs, sadly none big enough for the pan :-[ :-[
Stayed till 1/2 hour after high water & paddled back. The two trawlers were dredging up oysters again just of the beach again so they must be making something out of them.
I spoke to a couple of lads fishing off the beach, but they'd not even had a bite. I asked one of them to undo my drysuit zip but he couldn't manage it, his mate near broke his arm eventually getting open. Nearly made me feel guilty about getting the Mrs to zip me up this morning, I just thought she was on about her dodgy back again. ::) ::)

BigFootSam

Post by BigFootSam » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:28 pm

Nice report Mickmall. I am a keen kayak fisherman. Probibly go out over Easter. I only Bass fish in warmer weather. Will send a report in when I get started.

Cheers

BFS

MickMull

Post by MickMull » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:11 am

Went out again the other day, same launch, same spot. Only small whiting to report.

seaweed

Post by seaweed » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:38 pm

At least your getting out and having a go. Had you not been out at that particular day i would never of met you. As i said i will give you a shout as soon as i can get out. Gotta invest in a dry suit.
Have you thought about going down to old leigh near the marshes. I have seen plenty of fish there when i have been on my yak down there although it was the warmer months. Might be worth a go now nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.

Seaweed............

MickMull

Post by MickMull » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:55 pm

Leigh marshes must be a good mullet spot, flounders too I reckon. It was nice to meet you, glad there is someone else here in Southend who's taking the yaking/fishing option.
See you soon.